Microsoft Money Sunset added it's own password, unknown to me RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Microsoft Money Sunset to replace Money 2005.

I have NEVER used a password on my data files.

The "Sunset" version now demands a password.

I have no clue what they are looking for.

I tried a system restore...no good on the data file.

I removed "Sunset" and reinstalled Money 2005.

Still demands a password.

Is there some sort of standardized password the prograsm installed?

Any help will be appreciated

Friday, August 3, 2012 11:48 PM

All replies

• Your version 2005 was not from the US. You  needed to uninstall Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. Done. Then using the first post in this forum, download and install the Money 2005 version for your country. Your old Money 2005 disk relied on an update server that no longer exists. The downloaded version wil fix things.

Note that if you have a *.m14 file, it is a copy of your *.mny file as it existed when Sunset tried to convert your file.

Friday, August 3, 2012 11:56 PM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply.

My original Money 2005 IS a <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> version. Yes, I have the *.m14 file

I am not clear as to which of the two English language versions belowI should use.

Can you clarify?

The following is what I see on your first post:

“Money 2005 International English QFE2 installation file (not for US, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region>, <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region></st1:place>) from Microsoft, including the self-contained 1105 updates, is available athttp://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26922

Money 2005 <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">UK</st1:place></st1:country-region> - QFE2 (the fixed self-contained UK Money 2005 file) can be downloaded from the link at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26915

Money 2005 French - QFE3 (the fixed self-contained French Money 2005 file) can be downloaded from the link athttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/fr-fr/details.aspx?FamilyID=60352051-f614-4aef-9ce3-36370a329c09

US Money 2004 and Money 2005 and later US users, as well as can use Money Plus Deluxe Sunset if they have to reinstall at some point. Seehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2118008 for information and the download link.

Saturday, August 4, 2012 12:25 AM
  • I am seeing some funny characters for some reason. I think you said "My original Money 2005 IS a US version." So I now infer that you are in the US and were when you used Money before. If that is not the case, say so.

If your file and Money versions are from the US, you would want Sunset, which you already tried. Then why did you have a problem when you tried that??  I don't know-- maybe your file got corrupted somehow. Here is how I would proceed:
    1. save that *.m14 file and also your latest two *.mbf files onto other media, in case something fails.
    2. I would again install  Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.
    3. (optional step) I would copy Sample.mny from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus to your Documents folder. Open Money by double-clicking that copy of Sample.mny in Windows Explorer. That should work... it just gives us confidence that the installation is good.
    4. Inside Money File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2. Using Browse for each, select the *.m14 file as the RepairFile, and  for the SaveAs file, Browse to your Documents folder and choose a name such as Sidg9.mny.  (if you just type Sidg9 then Money will add the extension.)
    5. If that repair goes well, good. Open Money by double-clicking  Sidg9.mny in Windows Explorer. If that works, declare success.
    6. If that does not work, Close Money. Open Money by double-clicking your newest *.mbf file. Do not save the file to the remembered location, but instead Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a new name. If that works, declare success.
    7. If it does not work, repeat step 7 for your second-newest *.mbf file.

After things work, before exiting Money, go to Tools->Settings->BackupSettings and set up the backup file information for both the upon-exit and the scheduled backup.

Saturday, August 4, 2012 4:10 AM
  • I followed your "step2"

I reinstalled"Sunset".

It worked immediately.

There was no request for a password.

I cannot explain what happened.

I was seriously shaken by the thought of having lost at least nine years of detailed records.

Thank you very much for your help.

It is much appreciated,

Sidg9

Saturday, August 4, 2012 1:08 PM