none
Win2k8 HPC Server Nodes: How do I disable IPv6 in a node imaging template?

Question

• How do I disable IPv6 in a deployment services template for Windows HPC Server 2008?

It appears that I can minimally disable IPv6 in the template by adding the following "Run OS command" registry hack:
     %INSTALLDRIVE%\Windows\System32\REG.EXE ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d 0x000000ff
    When I run ipconfig, no IPv6 address are shown, which is good.  However, the IPv6 components are still checked in the network connection's properties dialog box

At first glance this appears to be sufficient, but I  want to take a belt-and-suspenders approach to disabling IPv6, since the Infiniband Subnet Manager ends up on its knees after a certain number of IPv6 hots are on the network.  So I want to make absolutely sure that IPv6 isn't going to be enabled.

Does anyone have suggestions for additional ways to keep IPv6 from coming up during the node-deplyment?  Or is the above registry hack really sufficient to make my hosts well-behaved on the Infiniband network -- keeping in mind that the head sysadmin here has a Cat5 flail on his wall.  :-)

Thanks,
    -Luke
    • Edited by Luke Scharf Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:51 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Luke,

The actual DWORD value should be 0xffffffff to disable all of IPv6 components. Once the value is set it should be sufficient in disabling IPv6 regardless what the interface says. Keep in mind this will disable all IPv6 components except the loopback.

Reference:
    929852 How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929852

Thanks,
    Ben

Thursday, August 6, 2009 5:06 PM
  • I've updated my script to use the full value:
     %INSTALLDRIVE%\Windows\System32\REG.EXE ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters /v "DisabledComponents" /t REG_DWORD /d 0xffffffff
    There were no surprises after rebuilding the nodes.

BTW, do you know of any way to do something like the following:
    netsh.exe  interface set interface description = "Mellanox IPoIB Adapter" newname = "Infiniband 1"

Basically, I want to assign a destinctive name to my Infiniband adapters, without having to guess which "Local Area Connection" name was assigned to it.  When using the "name=" parameter, it seems like it'll work fine for months -- until I re-arrange the hardware in one node, or something like that...

Thanks,
    -Luke
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 8:20 PM
  • Hi, Luke.
    First, let me appologize for all the trouble switching off IPv6- it really shouldn't be this difficult.  I'm working with the Windows core networking team to [hopefully] find a command line way to do this and will respond back to this post if I succeed. 

Now back to your question...yes, you can rename a network connection using NETSH like this:
       netsh interface set interface name="Local Area Connection" newname="My Favorite Connection"
    HOWEVER...you probably do NOT want to rename your connection because, if you're using Compute Cluster Server 2003 or HPC Server 2008 to manage your networks (if you identified the IB network in the Admin Console as your "MPI" or "Application" network) then CCS/HPCS will identify the connection based on it's subnet and automatically rename it to MPI or Application.  And it will keep renaming it to MPI or Application every time it sweeps the compute nodes looking for configuration changes...every 5-30 minutes depending on lots of factors. 

And one more thing...your question implies that your IB network will be more stable with IPv6 switched off.  Which IB subnet manager are you using?  The subnet manager in the Mellanox drivers (from the WinOF project in OpenFabrics Alliance) is called opensm.exe and has no visibility into IPv6 so it should be unaffected.  If that's not the case, please contact me directly so I can file the bug and work it with our team and the IB vendors. 

Thanks,
    Eric
    (elantz@microsoft.com)
    Eric Lantz (Microsoft)
    Friday, August 7, 2009 9:21 PM
  • We're using cisco-ib-sm-ofed-rhel4-3.2.0-161 as the subnet manager.

I'm not allowing the cluster tools configure IB, since I'm plugging in to an existing IB network for a production Unix cluster.  So, I decided to tread lightly and not let the automatic tools touch the IB.  I know how IB works in Unix and in Windows, but I don't have a complete picture of what's going on under the hood with Win2k8 HPC server's node configuration tools -- so I took this approach in order to minimize the chances of the author's idea of how the IB network should be configured from conflicting with the way we do things here.  Also, our Windows workloads don't require high-speed MPI at the moment -- the emphasis is currently on running single-node monte-carlo simulations, and also load-testing of other sites.  Of course, the workload will change as time goes on.

Thanks,
    -Luke
    • Edited by Luke Scharf Monday, August 10, 2009 7:55 PM
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:53 PM
  • Did you ever come up with a command line option for disabling ipv6?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:48 PM