Firewall control;It's not there. RRS feed

• Question

• Well, this one is just another problem from the portfolio of issues with Microsoft products I've had before. I decided to go ahead and uninstall OneCare and go another route since OneCare was going slow and using much of my computer's resources. So I run the uninstaller (that took forever to make it past about 15%) And waited. When it makes it to about 80%, the uninstaller froze up. I let it sit for awhile, nothing happened. So I open up task manager and end the process, and it never closed. With my CPU usage going off the charts, nothing would move. So I had to do a forced restart. I checked and all the components from it seems to be removed. Then windows alerts me that firewall is turned off. I go to control panel to turn it on, and it shows that firewall is apparently still controlled by group policy, thus rendering control of the firewall from the control panel (how ironic) useless. So now I am stuck without a firewall and have no idea what to do from here. I don't believe the antivirus I have currently has a built in firewall or any control over the windows firewall. So, I would like to know how to further protect my computer since I can't seem to get it back to working status.

On another note, alot of your support links for OneCare are down, you should look into resoring them.

I also recommend live chat with tech support. Please, if you do, make it American based. Those Indians always give me the wrong instructions.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Running the One Care install cleanup tool should resolve the Windows firewall issue - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:05 AM
  •  

Or, you can try this -

Start/Run - type "regedit" without the quotes, click OK

Delete these Registry keys if they exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polici­es\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall

\DomainProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Polici­es\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall

\StandardProfile \EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

WARNING - editing the registry could cause your PC to be unusable.

-steve

Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:36 PM