Is it eligible to sell software that was developed by freelancers using Microsoft Studio? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've ordered a freelancer to develop a software using Windows Workflow Foundation technology.
    He's using Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Professional.
    And I don't have any Visual Studio license.

After receiving the software, can I sell it to other people without having Visual Studio license? 
    Or I have to buy or subscribe to the same Visual Studio license in order to sell it? In case I have to buy one, which license I need to buy?

Thanks and Regards,
    Loc
    Wednesday, July 1, 2020 1:55 AM

Answers

• If you wrote your contract with him so that it is a "work for hire", so that all of the rights transfer to you, then you should be able to do whatever he could have done with it.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by lehloc Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:18 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:53 AM

All replies

• If you wrote your contract with him so that it is a "work for hire", so that all of the rights transfer to you, then you should be able to do whatever he could have done with it.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by lehloc Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:18 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

Sorry, this forum is only for discussing the technical issue, for legal issues, you could check with local legal experts.

Best Regards,

Drake

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 5:47 AM