Updates cause a CRASH RRS feed

• Question

• I've loaded WHS on a Compaq SR5610F.  I've replaced the base HD with a WD 1TB SATA drive.  WHS and the drivers load fine the machine is stable and fast however, when I take the updates it CRASHES!!  Non recoverable, no blue screen of death, black screen of "Game Over".  The computer is an AMD2 processor with 3 GB of RAM.  The dreaded Nvidia chipsets 6150SE.  Any thoughts?????
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    did you upgrade Bios and chipset+mass storage+video drivers for the mainboard (or eventually uninstall NVidia video drivers at all)?

A black screen (does this mean reboot without BSOD, also if you have disabled automated reboot after crash in the system properties?) could also refer to a power issue - power supply too weak?

Other than that, can you find any error messages in the event log?
    Can you ping the system still with black screen (if it was not rebooting)?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:20 AM
  • I had that problem and I think its related to the same thing I was fighting with the network drivers, what I ended up doing is going to Windows Update, and then doing the updates in sets of 3, when I did this and rebooting between them I was able to get all the updates.  It could be helpfull to post how far you have gotten into the updates or if you have gotten into them at all.   If you want to run a quick test to make sure its not the network drivers, go to the BIOS and shut off the onboard LAN.   I had to use a wireless adaptor past that point to connect to the internet to get its updates.  Given that HP/Compaq seem to use the same drivers but yours is a year newer than my system your problem could be releated.
    Draklor
    Monday, March 30, 2009 2:30 PM