Home Computer Connection Disabled RRS feed

• General discussion

• I recently had trouble connecting to a home computer running Windows XP Pro SP3 through my Windows Home Server. I could connect to the Home Server interface using Internet Explorer but I could not make a remote connection to the home computer. When I clicked on the 'Computers' tab the computer I wanted to connect to was listed but had a status of 'Connection Disabled'.

I found several suggestions about checking the Windows Firewall settings. I opened Windows Firewall from the control panel and checked the recommended settings for the General tab and the Exceptions tab. No one mentioned checking the Advanced tab. The Advanced tab is where my problem was. I want to share this for others having the same problem I had in hopes it will help.

Here are the settings that worked for me on machine with Windows XP Professional (SP3):

Open the Windows Firewall applet in the Control Panel.

On the General tab set firewall to ON, Don't Allow Exceptions is UNCHECKED.

On the Exceptions tab Remote Desktop is CHECKED. Click it and click edit. Make sure it says TCP 3389 is set to 'Any'. If not click 'Change scope' and select 'Any computer..'

(This is the setting no one else mentioned and made it work for me)

One the Advanced tab make sure Local Area Connection is CHECKED. Click it and click 'Settings'. Make sure 'Remote Desktop' is CHECKED

Click OK. Click OK again to close Windows Firewall.

Restart the computer and try the remote connection again.

This worked for me. Hope it helps someone else.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:14 AM