evaluation expiration? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am currently running an evaluation copy of WHS. I've been taking my time trying to decide whether to buy the OEM software or a prebuilt server. I've been waiting until more prebuilt choices are available. I'm getting a little nervous, though, about how much longer I have to decide. I can't find anyplace on my WHS where it says when the eval expiration is. I don't want it to suddenly lock me out one day before I've amde my purchase decision.

Where can I find that information?

Sunday, January 27, 2008 4:42 AM

Answers

•  Beverly Brown wrote:

I am currently running an evaluation copy of WHS. I've been taking my time trying to decide whether to buy the OEM software or a prebuilt server. I've been waiting until more prebuilt choices are available. I'm getting a little nervous, though, about how much longer I have to decide. I can't find anyplace on my WHS where it says when the eval expiration is. I don't want it to suddenly lock me out one day before I've amde my purchase decision.

It should be in the console, under the Settings button, Resources tab.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:31 AM
  • You could try the following:

1. Start -> Run -> winver - it will give you an expiration date in there
    2. In the Windows Home Server Console under "Settings" then "Resources" there is another date provided in there
    I forget which one is actually correct but I would go with the date that is closest. If I recall correctly there was a bug that caused the actual evaluation time to be less than it should have been (don't have a link at the moment to backup this mind burp though).

You'll also get thirty days warning on all computers with the connector and in the Windows Home Server Console as the icon will change to yellow (i.e. "at risk").

You won't all of a sudden be plunged into a situation where you can't access your stuff without fair warning.
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:32 AM

All replies

•  Beverly Brown wrote:

It should be in the console, under the Settings button, Resources tab.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:31 AM
  • You could try the following:

1. Start -> Run -> winver - it will give you an expiration date in there
    2. In the Windows Home Server Console under "Settings" then "Resources" there is another date provided in there
    I forget which one is actually correct but I would go with the date that is closest. If I recall correctly there was a bug that caused the actual evaluation time to be less than it should have been (don't have a link at the moment to backup this mind burp though).

You'll also get thirty days warning on all computers with the connector and in the Windows Home Server Console as the icon will change to yellow (i.e. "at risk").

You won't all of a sudden be plunged into a situation where you can't access your stuff without fair warning.
    Sunday, January 27, 2008 6:32 AM
  • I have been running the Evaluation Version for only a few days; the Expiration Date in Settings is 8/31/2008.

This AM, however, I got RED WHS 'Network Health is critical' warnings in the tray icons across my little Network,   Investigating, I get; "Upgrade Your Windows Home Server.  0 Days remain before your evaluation copy of WHS expires."

Up to now, I was impressed with WHS, and planned to buy it;  now it appears to be yet another buggy Microsoft product, and I may well use my new server with Linux     I did Not get a yellow warning as above.   It is particularly frustrating that, aside from this forum, we are on our own; noplace to e-mail or call.

I did run Winver through the very helpful Enhanced Console; it gave an Expiration Date of 06/26/2008.    Nothing there to warrant the Critical Warnings.    I guess I wait to see if it stops functioing.

One of the good things I have seen about WHS is the little attention that it needs.   In my case, it seems to be taking a great deal of my time;  much more than manual backups to external USB Drives would take.   I feel like a full time Network Manager.  From what I read in this forum, much of what I have done will be lost with the OEM Version, even if a reinstall is successful.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 4:58 PM
  • Shortly after writing the above, the Console screen turned to solid green.     When I booted the Server manually, The Console would not connect:   I got a Message to the effect that the Evaluation Copy has expired, and to Buy a Copy.

After this Fiasco, and the effort expended, Fat Chance.  Network Backups, Files Copied, LOST!   Not even able to Properly shut the server down, although, I guess file contamination is not really going to matter.

WHS 120 Day Evaluation copy was installed  March 1st.   The 120 Day Evaluation lasted 10 Days!!!    I am supposed to spend  Money on this 'Product.'   I think not.    Good Bye, all.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Sadly thr same thing happend to me

I did a server upgrade instellation and kept my data

All ok for no with no sign of expiry

Sunday, March 9, 2008 8:09 PM