drive missing from Drive Pool, but now have drive letters RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I had an HP mediasmart 475 that i wanted to upgrade to a mediasmart 490. the mediasmart is full of drives, & i have an USB enclosure with 8x drives available, but 4 are in use.  I followed some instructions to put all the HDD's in the new device & run a restore. it would not run with the enclosure attached, so i removed & did the restore. I followed instructions to re-set up the server & i am not sure when, but i hooked up the USB enclosure, & drive manager must have assigned the drives letters instead of re-linking them to the drive pool! Now when i go into the WHS console, the 4 drives in the USB enclosure show as disconnected, but if i RDP into the server, the drives are there & they are all separate drives with individual letters! The data is still intact & i can browse through the folders to see the data.

That leads me to my huge question/request....is there a way to get these drives recognized back into the drive pool without loosing the data? If i look at the shares folder, everything is still there, but when i click on files that are on the USB drives, they do not open! If there is any other questions i need to answer, please feel free to ask. I hope this makes sense...thanks for any help.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 1:31 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you went through HP's server recovery process with those 4 drives disconnected. Once you've done that, there is no way to get them reintegrated with the pool with data intact. You'll have to copy the data off them one at a time to the server, then add them to the pool. See this FAQ for more details.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by RAMII Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:56 PM
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:01 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you went through HP's server recovery process with those 4 drives disconnected. Once you've done that, there is no way to get them reintegrated with the pool with data intact. You'll have to copy the data off them one at a time to the server, then add them to the pool. See this FAQ for more details.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by RAMII Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:56 PM
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Thanks. I appreciate you confirming this for me...i really appreciate the fast reply.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 2:57 PM