none
Windows App Certification Kit - System.NullReferenceExceptions at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.TestBase.TestBase.ExecuteTest() RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm developing a game using Unity. After creating the necessary visual studio solution and creating the packages, I'm trying to use the Windows App Certification Kit. Unfortunately, most of the tests give a "failed" result and I see a repeating pattern in the results:

Nearly all of the errors are showing a System.NullReferenceException. 

Also, all of those errors are coming from "at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.TestBase.TestBase.ExecuteTest()"

Let me show you an example:

Bytecode generation
    • Error Found: The bytecode generation test detected the following errors:
      • System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.Tests.Utility.IsPackageWWA(AppXPackage package) at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.Tests.BytecodeGenerationCheck.BytecodeGenerationCheck.ExecuteSharedValidation(String manifestFilePath, String packageFullName) at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.TestBase.TestBase.ExecuteTest()

Or:

Background tasks cancelation handler
    • Error Found: The background tasks cancelation handler validation detected the following errors:
      • System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.Tests.CancelationHandlerValidation.CancelationHandlerValidation.ExecuteSharedValidation(String manifestFilePath, String packageFullName) at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.TestBase.TestBase.ExecuteTest()

Or...

Platform version launch
    • Error Found: The high OS version validation detected the following errors:
      • System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.Tests.Utility.LaunchAppTest(String packageFullName, String manifestFilePath, String testName) at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.Tests.HighOSVersionLaunchCheck.HighOSVersionLaunchCheck.Test(UapApp uapApp) at Microsoft.Windows.SoftwareLogo.TestBase.TestBase.ExecuteTest()

So eventually I've created an empty Unity project, with a cube inside, and still, all of the tests fail the same way - so I assume that the problem isn't coming from my game. I'd appreciate any help because my experience with UWP so far is terrible and with that problem, I'm stuck for a week now.
    I've opened a thread in the Unity dev forums as well, but so far I got no answer. Also, of course, I tried to look up the problem on the internet, but I found nothing.

I've tried to reinstall everything and using different versions of VS 2017, but it didn't help either. 

Monday, November 12, 2018 12:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, what's the OS version of you device? 

Another question is that are you running local WACK test? If so, the local WACK test is optional. You could upload you project to the Dev Center directly to see if the problem is still there. As there will be another WACK test in the store which will give a detail report and solution if you failed.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 2:52 AM
  • Hello Roy,

Thanks for your fast reply! I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1803 OS Build: 17134.345

I'm using the certification tool locally. I'm here because as far as I know on your side you will run the same tests, and the best practice is to fix everything before uploading it to the Partner Center. Am I wrong in that? There is a waiting time there, as well, isn't it?

You can download the full report from here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/olcse3brxz52byy/AAB3QnNEdCHulxFZrNSweAWla?dl=0

Thanks again,
    Andris

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 9:11 AM
  • HI,

Of course you could try to fix everything before uploading it to the center. As you had mentioned in the post, it failed even with a blank just has a cube. This should to be more related to how the Unity ports the project to a UWP project. You need to ask about this in Unity's forum. 

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 15, 2018 8:05 AM
  • New Certification Kit is totally broken, it always fails almost all tests when you test locally, but when you submit package to the store it will pass validation and certification without issues.
    Monday, November 19, 2018 10:56 AM
  • And, by the way, this is not offtopic, this issue is not related to Unity. Please move it to "Windows and Windows Phone apps"
    Monday, November 19, 2018 11:00 AM
  • hi Ron,

The problem wasn't on Unity's side. I found these things to make the kit work:

1 - only one dev kit can be installed. If I install more, they fail to work with the mentioned problem.

2 - even if I have only one installation, sometimes I have to one "repair" on it, <g class="gr_ gr_685 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="685" id="685">otherwise</g> it stops working after some days

3 - before running the test I have to deploy the game using visual studio (so basically test it). I have to do it after each Unity build made. Even tho I shouldn't to that to make it happen.

4 - The test works only if I choose "Master". With "Debug" it never works.

I hope this will help others a bit, but it seems the only way to work right now is uploading the project to the store to test it there.
    And still I have a bug... all of the tests in the "Windows App Certification Kit - Test Results" fails with an EMPTY error message. So it tells NOTHING. But I assume this is a Microsoft bug again. 
    As others tell in this thread the dev kit right now is garbage and I've spent way too much time with it to make it work.

Please fix instead of blaming Unity for it.

• Edited by Progorion Thursday, November 22, 2018 7:13 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2018 7:13 AM