Creating PWA Site in Project Server 2010 Fails RRS feed

• Question

• Our completely clean install of Project Server 2010 Beta on Windows Server 2008 x64/SQL Server 2008 fails at "Create Project Web Access Site".  Status = "Failed - see the Application event Log".  The event log tells us "Failed to provision site PWA with error... Failed to get schema version of Working database - Data Source=<servername>;Initial Catalog=ProjectServer_Draft".   

I followed all the steps faithfully, including required hotfixes.  Deleting and re-creating PWA doesn't help, nor does rebooting.  Permissions all seem OK in SQL Server.  Any thoughts?  thanks. 
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:17 PM

Answers

• Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.  The ULS logs didn't really provide any more information than the Application Event log (lots more detail, of course, but not any new information).  On a hunch, I deleted the non-working PWA site and created a new one, but this time I defined new databases ("ProjectServer_Published1 ", etc).  Bingo -- it works.  I have no idea why the earlier attempts using the default names didn't work.  SQL Server now has two sets of DBs, but only the "...1" are being used. 

I'm curious -- has anyone else seen this problem?
    • Marked as answer by Bill Langhorne Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:00 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:00 PM

All replies

• in addition check the ULS logs for more details on the exact error.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:02 AM
  • Thank you Christophe -- sorry to report that psconfig didn't make a difference (no, I hadn't run it before).  I deleted the ill-fated PWA site, ran psconfig, reran "Create Project Web Access Site", and had the same result.  Just to experiment a bit, I logged in a domain admin and re-did the entire cycle.  No change.

I'm not familiar with "ULS logs" -- can you say more about what and where they are?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Did you make sure the FarmAdmin account is set up in SQL server and that the roles are set as following

dbcreator, public, securityadmin, and sysadmin.

Also make sure that the ports are between SQL server and Project Server.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:46 AM
  • Thanks... yes, the FarmAdmin account is configured with those roles.  I'm not sure what you mean by "that the ports are between SQL server and Project Server".   I should have mentioned it's a single server installation.  Is there some specific configuration I should be looking at?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:14 AM
  • Bill check out this tool to analyze ULS logs:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie/archive/2009/10/30/sharepoint-and-project-server-uls-viewer-tool-released.aspx
    ULS are typically located here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\14\LOGS
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:18 AM
  • I have typically seen this in situations where the login used to access the DB is missing or invalid. Probably not the issue, but check that the login exists in SQL server, and then, as Christophe suggested, check the ULS logs for entries that are relevant.

Thanks,
    Boaz Lev
    • Marked as answer by Bill Langhorne Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:57 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Bill Langhorne Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:28 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:22 AM
  • Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.  The ULS logs didn't really provide any more information than the Application Event log (lots more detail, of course, but not any new information).  On a hunch, I deleted the non-working PWA site and created a new one, but this time I defined new databases ("ProjectServer_Published1 ", etc).  Bingo -- it works.  I have no idea why the earlier attempts using the default names didn't work.  SQL Server now has two sets of DBs, but only the "...1" are being used. 

I'm curious -- has anyone else seen this problem?
    • Marked as answer by Bill Langhorne Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:00 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:00 PM
  • That's great!  I agree too that the ULS logs don't always help.  But sometimes they do or give you a clue.

Yes, I have seen it. It is because the security between SQL server, Project server, Application Pool, Internet browser, installation account, etc, is just not set up quite right.  The provisioning of the databases, is the real orchestration of the security parts. However, once the databases are created and the sites are created, you are pretty much good to go.

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSD
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:14 PM