Which language is used to program kernel RRS feed

• Question

• Which language is used to write the kernel ?
    I read that it is with "C" programming language is this correct..if so can you tell me the proficiency level of a kernel programmer ?
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:20 PM

Answers

• Yes, the majority of the kernel is written in C, but there is quite a lot of assembly code as well. As for the proficiency level of a kernel programmer in C, I'd say it is extremely high.
    Monday, March 5, 2007 6:07 PM

All replies

• Yes, the majority of the kernel is written in C, but there is quite a lot of assembly code as well. As for the proficiency level of a kernel programmer in C, I'd say it is extremely high.
    Monday, March 5, 2007 6:07 PM
  • I have an offtopic question and I think here is a good place to ask it.

Are there any "goto" operators in the Windows kerel source, and if yes - how many?

The question was "born" of some kind of dispute in one of bulgarian forums and i think it will be interesting for all of us to know the answer... :)
    Thanks in advance!

The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it. Michelangelo
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 11:33 AM
  • The Windows Research Kernel code contains about 1700 occurrences of goto operator.

Strange, I was under impression that "goto wars" between structured programming purists and the rest of programmers fizzled out about 20-25 years ago.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:59 PM
  • I thought so too... Believe it or not, I am in the middle of one right now :)
    Thanks for the answer... :)

The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it. Michelangelo
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:29 PM