Death of OneCare RRS feed

• General discussion

• Whilst I appreciate your altruistic approach to the needs of those whose bandwidth, or pockets, cannot support OneCare and thus the killing off of OneCare and replacement with Essentials I have a question - what about those of us who have both (or, pocket wise, sacrificed something else to subscribe)?

Personally I think the firewall is rubbish, the anti virus and spyware dubious at best (I use it conjunction with SpyWare) but the Tune-up and One circle utility is/was priceless to keep an eye on the other pc and laptop that my children use and never update or run routine maintenance on. Backup was quite good but not as good as it should have been (external backups are a basic notion for all 3 linked pc's).

If I was cynical I would put the closure of OneCare down to it's poor market penetration due to pisspoor marketing, as usual (does anyone understand what Windows7 offers as an enhancement to Vista other than, no doubt, change the basics around so you can't find the tools you used in the previous versions?).

As my moan will not make any difference - no doubt due to America causing a worldwide recession this arm of GatesWorld has been deemed a failure - and you're now trying to launch a spoiler for the rest of the market, which will also crash and burn since it offers none of the enhancements that made OneCare so useful and will, as usual, be filled with security holes, I will be purchasing a copy of Norton 360 3 User on May the 1st (incidentally I hate Norton with a passion that words cannot describe but needs must) which appears to offer exactly the same service as OneCare but probably not as well.

Why, oh Why not introduce Essentials as a stripped down version of OneCare to show your caring side and retain Onecare for those of us who love it and are prepared to pay? Is Bill seriously saying that a 4% penetration with no marketing wasn't worth pursuing?

This way lies madness and I'm unlikely to buy a Windows, other OP, product again.

David
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:28 PM

All replies

• Put simply, Windows 7 not only automates all of the things that OneCare did, but also includes much better security to start with, so Microsoft Security Essentials is really all that's needed.  If you're in a position to upgrade to Windows 7, you're really much better off to do that than spend money repetatively on an antimalware suite that attempts to 'patch' all of the features that are missing from the earlier operating systems.  In fact, since most of the automation is done quietly in the background in Windows 7, you really should no longer require the monitoring from OneCare, since other than if a malware attack occurs you shouldn't need to look at the other PCs at all.  I already did this with Vista on a PC 70 miles away, though I didn't require the backup which has been improved in Windows 7 to be similar to what was in OneCare.

The reasons for dropping OneCare were many, but complexity and support costs with low market penetration were obviously some of the issues.  Since the real purpose behind creating oneCare in the first place was to try and penetrate the then roughly 70% of PC systems that didn't have current antivirus, it did little to resolve this issue.

Since OneCare had a large amount of support overhead to deal with both subscriptions as well as the circle features added later, the simplest way to remove these issues was to drop the requirement for their use.  Since many users were too apathetic to pay anything for protection, Microsoft needed to resolve this as well as the payment issues that they'd discovered (no or few credit cards) as they tried to expand beyond the first 17 countries.

The fringe benefit of dropping all of this overhead is that other additions such as .NET also become unnecessary, so the overall memory and processor resources required to support the core anti-malware application (now MSE) also dropped.  This helped resolve their other key target of continuing to operate on low resource systems such as Netbooks and the streamlined cheap systems sold in much of the rest of the world.

As a result of all of this, the application that resulted could also be supported by the same infrastructure used to maintain Windows/Microsoft Update, which was already in place and well tested throughout the world.  This helps keep the infrastructure costs down, including manpower, since all that's really required is some additional bandwidth and servers to support more downloads for MSE.

Also note that MSE itself is actually a much improved antimalware application, since it's added rootkit protection as well as the Dynamic Signature Service, which helps to respond more quickly to new malware.  So the most important part of OneCare, the antimalware, is actually better in MSE and now also free.

Rob
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 5:56 AM