Organization has two names, which is which? RRS feed

• Question

• MS CRM has two names for each Organization, Friendly Name and Name.

We have two different environments that look the same from within the Deployment Manager:

Name = HoganasTEST, Friendly Name = Höganäs TEST.

Then I have developed a custom Workflow activity to run reports and add the report as an attachment to an Email activity.

This works fine in test where:

organization organ = crmservice.Retrieve(EntityName .organization.ToString(), workflowContext.OrganizationId, new AllColumns ()) as organization ;

and then “ organ.name ” equals “HoganasTEST”.

This is then the same as “ select Name from Organization ” from the organization database.

When executing the exact same code on a different server with the same Organization name and Friendly Name both “ organ.name ” and “ select Name from Organization” returns “Höganäs TEST”.

Which is the correct one?

What is Organization Name supposed to be?

/Markus

• Edited by maeg02 Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:19 AM Copy paste, error
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Maeg,

Since the Friendly name have nothing to do with your code and the needed one is the organization name,

and since it doesn't support spaces so it's HoganasTEST without space.

so open the MSCRM_Config DB on the other server and check the table Organization Table and see the friendlyname and uniquename fields, then you will be able to know the exact name for your organization.

Ahmed ElNoby http://ahmedelnoby.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Maeg,

Since the Friendly name have nothing to do with your code and the needed one is the organization name,

and since it doesn't support spaces so it's HoganasTEST without space.

so open the MSCRM_Config DB on the other server and check the table Organization Table and see the friendlyname and uniquename fields, then you will be able to know the exact name for your organization.

Ahmed ElNoby http://ahmedelnoby.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Hi Ahmed ElNoby

Yes, if I check the MSCRM_Config DB the names are the same as shown in the Deployment Manager.

When I look at other CRM installations I can conclude that the Organization name are "supposed" to be the Friendly Name in the Organization Database. And if you would like your Organization Name i.e. to build a URL without a config file you would need to use Discovery Webservice.

I.e. if you do a webservice call with friendly name instead of unique name, I don't think that you will ever succeed.

Is this the intended/supported way?

Do anyone know any fast or smarter way?

/Markus

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 5:19 AM