Possible to configure multiple backup times / per computer? RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if it were possible to configure a per-computer backup time, maybe via an add-in?

I have a situation where multiple computers are in use over the full 24 hours, so one backup time doesn't work all that well. It would be nice to do one computer at 3PM, and all others at 3AM.

Is there any way?

Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:59 PM

Answers

• You could create a Scheduled task on the client, which is calling a batch file with the command

"C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\backupengine.exe" -a

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, January 23, 2009 11:31 AM
  • It would effectively be an additional backup. Given that your computers are all on pretty much all the time, they will back up during the normal backup interval. Then that batch file will force a backup at a particular time. If you disable automatic backups for a computer, then the command above will also not cause a backup, because that's what it does, an automatic backup.

For further information about the backup engine in WHS you could consult the Home Computer Backup technical brief. For more information/discussion about the command above and potential uses, you might want to check out this thread from last year.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 23, 2009 3:26 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server is designed to back each home computer up during the backup window, which is configures for the entire server. So no, you can't configure backup times on a per computer basis. You could extend the backup window so that you're reasonably sure that all computers will be on at some point during it, however. The only potential problem with that is that an older PC may perform poorly during a backup, as backup uses a fair amount of computing resources.
    Friday, January 23, 2009 1:41 AM
  • Well, all of the computers are on 24x7... it's just that the "in-use" hours of all computers combined covers the full 24-hour period, meaning there's no single good timeframe.

So if I can't specify specific timeframes, then *something's* most likely going to be in use while a backup is occuring.

It's too bad you can't at least modify the schedule on an individual PC. It seems that nothing that runs on a schedule EVER uses the actual scheduling service!

Friday, January 23, 2009 5:42 AM
  • You could create a Scheduled task on the client, which is calling a batch file with the command

"C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\backupengine.exe" -a

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, January 23, 2009 11:31 AM
  • How would that interact with the automated scheduled backup, and/or the backup time interval on WHS?

Friday, January 23, 2009 1:27 PM
  • It would effectively be an additional backup. Given that your computers are all on pretty much all the time, they will back up during the normal backup interval. Then that batch file will force a backup at a particular time. If you disable automatic backups for a computer, then the command above will also not cause a backup, because that's what it does, an automatic backup.

For further information about the backup engine in WHS you could consult the Home Computer Backup technical brief. For more information/discussion about the command above and potential uses, you might want to check out this thread from last year.

Friday, January 23, 2009 3:26 PM