none
Hard drive setup RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old machine which exceeds the hardware requirements, but I need a little help with the hard drives.  I currently have two hds, one is 250 GB ATA Maxtor and the second is 160 GB ATA Maxtor.  Both drives are 7200 RPM, I am not sure of the mb for the cache.  Is it possible for  WHS see these as on big 410 GB drvie with out a RAID configurtion?

Thanks

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:13 PM

Answers

• Yes, WHS will use both disks without RAID.

It can be a complex process to understand, but to oversimplify: the system partition will take up 20 GB on the first disk, and then WHS will use the remaining space on both disks to store data.

You don't manage partitions, you just let WHS control the disks and it will move data around to use up the space as it needs to. If you turn on Duplication for a particular share, WHS will make a copy of that data on both hard drives (so if one fails, you'll still have the data on the other drive).

If you're technically minded, have a read through the Drive Extender whitepaper: http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:33 PM

All replies

• Pretty much that is exactly what WHS will do.  Which ever drive you set as the primary will get a 20gb partition for the OS, then the remainder will be a data partition.  Then you add the other drive and it will go into the pool of available storage space.  So in reality you should have about 380ish gb of actual storage space when all is said and done with those 2 drives.
    Monday, January 21, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Yes, WHS will use both disks without RAID.

It can be a complex process to understand, but to oversimplify: the system partition will take up 20 GB on the first disk, and then WHS will use the remaining space on both disks to store data.

You don't manage partitions, you just let WHS control the disks and it will move data around to use up the space as it needs to. If you turn on Duplication for a particular share, WHS will make a copy of that data on both hard drives (so if one fails, you'll still have the data on the other drive).

If you're technically minded, have a read through the Drive Extender whitepaper: http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:33 PM
  •  

Because a small primary data partition can hamper WHS operations, I would use your 250 GB drive as your primary. Microsoft's recommendation is to use your largest disk as your system disk. I made the mistake by installing a small primary disk and ended up re-installing WHS .

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:43 PM