none
Windows Update Utility(WUU) on Corporate network(GPO) RRS feed

• Question

• I work on a corporate network where group policy is controlled from a higher authority.  I've downloaded WUU and launched from an Administrative Powershell command prompt.  I am able to get to my OU and pull a list of servers but when I get an error in the status column as soon as the utility try to check for updates. 

When I right click on a server and check for updates I can see an error on the Powershell Command line:

You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.

$updatesearcher=$updatesession.CreateUpdateSearcher()

CategoryInfo:  InvalidOperation (:) []. RuntimeException.

FullyQualifiedErrorID  :  InvokeMethodOnnull

I suspect it's due to the Machine Policy being set to remotesigned but am not 100% sure.  Any insight would be appreciated.

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, December 12, 2018 5:21 PM This is not support forum for gallery scripts
    Friday, August 17, 2018 11:44 AM

All replies

• You cannot instantiate the object either due to firewall or permissions. 

How are you creating "$updatesession"?

What is it you are calling WUU.  There are many called WUU.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Friday, August 17, 2018 11:59 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2018 11:59 AM
  • I'm using the Powershell Windows Update Utility(WUU) from Microsoft.  

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Windows-Update-Utility-WUU-1d72e520#content

I can pssession to all of these servers, I have administrative rights on all of them.

Friday, August 17, 2018 12:09 PM
  • I also get an error Error occurred: 

Exception calling "CreateInstance" with "1" argument(s): "Retrieving the COM class factory for remote component with CLSID
    {4CB43D7F-7EEE-4906-8698-60DA1C38F2FE} from machine SERVERNAME failed due to the following error: 80070005 SERVERNAME."
    At line:200 char:1
    + $objSession =  [activator]::CreateInstance([type]::GetTypeFromProgID("Microsoft. ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccessException

You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
    At line:203 char:1
    + $objSearcher = $objSession.CreateUpdateSearcher()
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

Friday, August 17, 2018 12:14 PM
  • Your account does not have remote launch permissions on that object.  This may have been restricted by your admins.  In Windows 10 and later this may also be restricted.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, August 17, 2018 12:16 PM
  • Would that be a group policy setting?  I can run pssession on all of these systems.  Does it have to do with executionpolicy?
    Friday, August 17, 2018 12:17 PM
  • Do you have a method of determining what is causing the issue?  Are there setting on the server I can check?
    Friday, August 17, 2018 12:18 PM
  • Post questions about how to use the module to the author.  The module is not well behaved and can fail due to many things.  The author will have to address this.

Use of PsSession has nothing to do with remote DCOM.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, August 17, 2018 12:30 PM
  • Thank you for you responses.  I'll have to research the CredSSP and see if that will help.  My point to pssession was that I do have the proper permissions and I am communicating with the servers.  I understand that DCOM is a different technology.  It was just part of my troubleshooting the issue.

Thanks again.

Friday, August 17, 2018 12:35 PM
  • Ask the author of the script for help.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, August 17, 2018 1:20 PM