none
Bad blocks in a file RRS feed

• Question

• I've been evaluating whether to make the move to WHS for my primary file server.  I've been using the trial version and love it but from running home servers for 10+ I feel confident saying that eventually every single drive will develop bad sectors (boy do I have stories there).  Anyway, with standard RAID controllers (raid-5,6, etc) when a drive develops an unreadable block the raid controller will detect the bad block, correct the data before returning it to the OS, and then rewrite the corrected block to the drive (which has remapped the bad block).

So my concern is that when a bad block occurs, what does WHS do?  With file duplication I don't see how this can be transparent.  What does WHS do when it encounters a bad-block?  Does it rewrite the file?  Does it move the file?  Does it do anything?

btw - if this a faq please let me know.  I've been trying to figure this out for days and can't find a reliable answer.

Thanks!
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:23 PM

All replies

• I've been evaluating whether to make the move to WHS for my primary file server.  I've been using the trial version and love it but from running home servers for 10+ I feel confident saying that eventually every single drive will develop bad sectors (boy do I have stories there).

I would agree that it will happen eventually, but not in the immediate time frame you are implying.

Anyway, with standard RAID controllers (raid-5,6, etc) when a drive develops an unreadable block the raid controller will detect the bad block, correct the data before returning it to the OS, and then rewrite the corrected block to the drive (which has remapped the bad block).

So my concern is that when a bad block occurs, what does WHS do?  With file duplication I don't see how this can be transparent.  What does WHS do when it encounters a bad-block?  Does it rewrite the file?  Does it move the file?  Does it do anything?

btw - if this a faq please let me know.  I've been trying to figure this out for days and can't find a reliable answer.

Thanks!

WHS runs a quick chkdsk every night to look for errors.  If it detects a problem with the same hard drive 4 consecutive days, it alerts you of a potential problem through the Console.  As for the actual files, it does nothing.
    Friday, August 7, 2009 3:25 AM