EULA Links RRS feed

• General discussion

• Whilst performing a regular liveupdate which like many individuals I was not moniotiring very closely,  the updated requested I accept a new EULA.

Intrigued I actually read the EULA and follwoed a couple of the links. Of concern is the fact that the EULA was for the isntalaltion of 'pre release' software onto my system and references to an ability to disable a web reporting services, which when followed did not lead to an easily identifable topic regarding the ability to disable anything.

Further more the EULA used the term 'premises' which implies that if I had accepted, that all devices in my home would be subject to the same EULA.

I am not a laywer but then I do not consider myself dumb either, what gives Microsoft the right to deliver pre-release software to my system via a mechanism which Microsoft have advised me previously is safe and secure? Microsoft know that few individuals read the entire EULA and appear to be using this fact to their advantage to modify the scope of my XP EULA.

For reference I operate 3 PC's in my home, two tablet PC's and one notebook all of which have genuine and validated licenses.

This is the last time I accept anything from Microsoft on 'good faith'...

Friday, May 5, 2006 10:52 AM

All replies

• DelboyII:

Thank you for the comment.  While the Genuine Advantages pilot was called a pre-release, it is in not beta software.  We understand from your post that because the notice of pre-release was in the EULA it was not noticed by you and that you normally just accept those updates.   That is good feedback and I can assure you that it will be shared with the product planning team as we evaluate this pilot.  We appreciate the feedback and apologize for the confusion.

-Phil Liu

Friday, May 5, 2006 6:44 PM