WHS Remote Access issue, could be IIS issue RRS feed

• Question

• This definitely feels like an IIS problem.

This does not work: http://austinbike.homeserver.com/
    This does work: http://austinbike.homeserver.com/home/default.aspx
    However, when you click on "logon" you get an error

I went to the remote console and tried it on the server itself. Same thing.

Tried the actual IP address (internal address). Same thing.

When I go into the remote access configuration in the console I get an error on trying to set up the remote access. When I choose "repair" I get the error: "X verifying that your web server is available locally"

With: a local web server or firewall issue may have occurred.

This is what I know:

1. Turning the firewall on or off does not help.
    2. The fact that I can get to the website from off of the network tells me that port forwarding is working.
    3. I have done both a software reset and a factory reset and I cannot get this working.
    4. HP MediaSmart 470 with a DLINK DIR-655
    5. This has worked flawlessly in the past.

What could possibly be the problem? It is in the web services.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:42 AM

All replies

• OK, now I am 100% convinced that this is not a router or port forwarding issue.

I dropped a simple html file that just says "test" on it into the home directory:

http://austinbike.homeserver.com/home/test.htm

I can access this with no problem.

However, with https, I get an error.
    This tells me that:

1. Port forwarding is working
    2. Port 80 is open
    3. Port 443 is *probably* the problem
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Have you installed anything on your server at all? Any add-ins? Software installed via remote desktop? Have you tweaked your server in any way? If the answer to all of that is no, have you installed any additional devices on your network recently? Have you installed any additional software on other computers, particularly game software?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:01 AM
  • No games.  Fresh install.

The only thing that I loaded was the tivo plug in and the HP MSS fan plug in.  Both of those were running on the old software image with no problem.

I am thinking this could be a certificate problem, which is why it would work for TCP requests, but not SSL requests.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:27 AM
  • If the TIVO plugin uses UPnP port forwarding it could explain your problem. I don't know; I don't have a TIVO...

In any case, it's unlikely to be a certificate problem. That would produce a different error in your browser.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Problem solved.  It is "certificate related".

Originally I used the MSFT domain service to get a *.homeserver.com address.

Apparently, adding that to a fresh install created this problem.

I set up a domain with the HP service and got austinbike.HPhomeserver.com and now everything is working completely.  Not sure why this is happening.

Since the HP name is a 1 year free vs. the (apparent) lifetime sub with msft, I need to figure out how to get the msft domain back.

Any ideas on that?
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Problem solved.  It is "certificate related".

Originally I used the MSFT domain service to get a *.homeserver.com address.

Apparently, adding that to a fresh install created this problem.

I set up a domain with the HP service and got austinbike.HPhomeserver.com and now everything is working completely.  Not sure why this is happening.

Since the HP name is a 1 year free vs. the (apparent) lifetime sub with msft, I need to figure out how to get the msft domain back.

Any ideas on that?

I would have to believe you still "have" the same MS domain as before.  You probably just need to somehow disable the HP domain name, then set up your MS one again.  Unfortunately, I don't use an HP MSS so I don't know how to disable the HP domain, but I would guess there must a way to "turn it off" the same way you set it up.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:54 PM
  • I tried that.  I can go into the setup, and shift it from the HP domain to the MS domain.  HP domain works, MS domain does not.

Feels like somehow the MS domain is somehow tied to a system image or a file on the old sw image.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:14 PM
  • I spoke too soon. The server did a bunch of automatic updates this evening and now the HP domain is broken again. 

This is insanity. MICROSOFT, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?  There are plenty of threads, going back to 2008 that show this issue.  Yet you seem to be releasing updates that break functionality.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:08 AM
  • Apparently, assigning a new domain fixed the problem.

This is clearly a MSFT issue.  My router is working fine, I have static IPs on everything at home and it works for a while until updates get pushed down to the server.

I configured the server to download but not automatically install updates. That should fix it, but someone from MSFT really needs to address this.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Apparently, assigning a new domain fixed the problem.

This is clearly a MSFT issue.  My router is working fine, I have static IPs on everything at home and it works for a while until updates get pushed down to the server.

I configured the server to download but not automatically install updates. That should fix it, but someone from MSFT really needs to address this.

I've never once had an issue (although, as I said, I don't use an HP).  There is definitely nothing wrong with the default MS WHS image though.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:48 AM
  • I disagree.  I initially used a MSFT domain.  Everything was fine.  Then a MSFT system update caused me to lose that domain.  Then I switched to HP.  And another updated knocked me off line.  I went back to MSFT but had a third domain. 

Apparently it runs fine until the automatic updating.  I just checked again from the road and everything is running fine since I turned off the automatic updates.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:15 AM
  • I have had an HP MediaSmart EX475 for nearly two years. My server automatically downloads updates, with no problems. So it's something on your network, or your server, in particular, not Windows Home Server per se, that's causing your issue.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

I have had EX475 for two years and everything has been ok until my pri HD broke. Inserted a new drive and ran recovery. Everything ok and all my datta intact. But, now after applying all the updates and after PP3, IIS is broken. I have not done anything except minimal settings and updates.

Regards, joakim

Friday, December 11, 2009 11:58 PM
  • Hi,

I think you should be able to fix the problem by turn off remote access and turn it on again.

Thanks,
    Mike

Monday, December 21, 2009 8:13 AM
  • No you can't
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:51 PM