none
Client Computers show offline - can't backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have just built a WHS 2011 machine.  It is running on Hyper-V.  I have 3 computers 'connected' to the WHS.  I put the connected in quotes because after the install only one of the computers shows as online.  The three machines are as follows:

Windows 7 Ult - connected and backing up

Windows 7 Ult - not online

Windows 7 Pro(actually a virtual machine on the Hyper-V box) not online

The WHS server is currently running in Canada.  I am travelling and I am able to access the server from Paris where I am working.  Not only that, I am able to connect to the two 'offline' computers through the WHS server and Remote Desktop.  Since the computers have never shown online I am unable to configure nor execute backup.  I have checked the firewall, uninstalled and re-installed the connector software.

In an effort to isolate the issue I cloned the disk from the computer that can connect.  I then put this disk in another computer.  I rebooted this cloned computer, renamed it and installed the connector software.  It always shows as offline.  

This issue appeared a number of time during the Beta but I never saw a solution.  

Russ

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:41 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem on a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate. I can log in with Dashboard, but not with Launchpad. The laptop is listed as "offline" on WHS and does not back up. Everything works fine on another laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Curt

• Proposed as answer by fstephenson57 Friday, June 10, 2011 2:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by fstephenson57 Friday, June 10, 2011 2:37 PM
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:36 PM
  • I am replying on behalf of my friend Fred who found this:

I got Launchpad to work.  After starting my laptop I went to Events and checked all Errors within the last hour.  I started with the first one and reviewed them with Microsoft using the Event Log Online Help.  It showed the following information.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event ID 7009 — Basic Service Operations

Updated: January 6, 2009 at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349435(WS.10).aspx

Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2 

Service Control Manager transmits control requests to running services and driver services. It also maintains status information about those services, and reports configuration changes and state changes.

Event Details

Product: Windows Operating System

ID: 7009

Source: Service Control Manager

Version: 6.1

Symbolic Name: EVENT_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT

Message: Timeout (%1 milliseconds) waiting for the %2 service to connect.

Resolve

Increase the service timeout period

The Service Control Manager will generate an event if a service does not respond within the defined timeout period (the default timeout period is 30000 milliseconds). To resolve this problem, use the Registry Editor to change the default timeout value for all services.

To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority. 

Caution: Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data. 

To change the service timeout period: 

1.Click the Start button, then click Run, type regedit, and click OK. 

2.In the Registry Editor, click the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control. 

3.In the details pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry, right-click that entry and then select Modify.

Note: If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it by selecting New on the Edit menu, followed by the DWORD Value, then typing ServicesPipeTimeout, and clicking Enter.

4.Click Decimal, enter the new timeout value in milliseconds, and then click OK. 

5.Restart the computer. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I had to create the ServicesPipeTimeout and I gave it a 100000 millisecond setting.  Shut down my laptop.  I restarted my laptop and immediately went back to my Event Viewer and selected to review all the errors for the last hour.  So there were about 12 errors cleared up with this one entry so I selected Launchpad to run.  It popped up connected in just a couple seconds.  So I am thrilled that this fixed my issue. 

• Proposed as answer by GnosisGo Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:13 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I checked the 2 machines that are 'not connected'. One of the machines has the error 7009 that you mentioned but the other one does not. Interesting while the one machine that has the error is a wirelessly attached computer and the error 7009 relates the wireless adapter on the computer (ASUS wireless) there no ServicesPipeTimeout element in the registry. I did a complete registry seach and no joy. The second machine has no 7009 errors whatsoever. I suspect that this is not the solution to the issue.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 9:23 AM
  • There is an issue may related to your problem. Whenever whs2011 try to update any property of a computer , like “online offline backup enabled”, it will check the existing timestamp of this property. If the timestamp is newer than the current system time, then no update will be done.

Because you use hyper-v server, I suggest you set the time-zone of whs2011 the same with the host. Otherwise system time could change after sbs2011 reboot, and may cause your problem.  Also you can try follow,

1 GoTO "c:\programdata\microsoft\Windows Server\Data", c: should be your system dirve.

2 Rename DevicesInfo.xml and DevicesInfo.xml.back to DevicesInfo.xml_back DevicesInfo.xml.back_back.

3 Restart the "Windows Server Devices Provider" service.  by cmd: "sc stop DevicesProviderSvc","sc start DevicesProviderSvc"

New DevicesInfo.xml DevicesInfo.xml_back should be created.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:37 AM
  • Go to the disk management program on the server. To find it type in disk management in the search window and click on the result.  Then go to the disk that is offline and right click.  Check the online command and I believe your issue will be resolved.

Night Owl

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:48 AM
  • I had the problem on a Windows 10 machine for a very long time. Would always show, from the WHS2011 Dashboard on another computer, as offline. Could not access the Dashboard features from that Windows 10 computer not get any alerts. Confused me because the same Windows 10 client was connected to the WHS2011 as a file server with mapped drives.

Took me 8 months to solve it coming back to it now and again several hours each time until frustration led me away. Figured it out tonight.

Some of the Windows Server services, though set to "automatic", were not turned on on the Win10 client. Manually started the services and two things happened: could connect the Dashboard AND a backup started for the first time in 8 months!

Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:02 AM
  • When a computer connected to the server by any unknown reason, this is the most simple way to solve it:

Step 1

Uninstall "Windows Home Server 2011 Connector" from Control Panel (Add and remove program)

This will not harm the settings as long as no other settings has been changed before next step:

Step 2

In the browser IE, Edge, Opera, Firefox etc, please write http://[WHS11]/connect (mostly You will find the downloaded program in "Downloads" folder.

Change the [WHS11] above to Your name on the computer with Windows Home Server 2011 i.e MYSERVER, HOMESERVER

Step 3

Start the program from "Download" The WHS11 connecting program will guide You through the installation. Please note: Accept the same name on the computer and be prepared to fill in the Server Administrator password when proceeding.

Allt the settings will remain, such as backup folder and Mapped  network drives.

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 8:05 PM