Install on multiple pc's does this require multiple keys? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not at home to try this yet, but I want to install WHS on multiple PC's for benchmarking.  Do I need a different key for each install?

Thanks...

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 5:43 PM

Answers

• Only when activating.  You should be able to do an install without a key or even use the same key on multiple installs.   You can only have 1 Windows Home Server activated per key.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 5:46 PM
  • Thats how it's worked for just about every other program ever requireing a online activation Smile but just because 1 WHS is so good does not mean 5 WHS's are 5x as good ;-)
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 5:57 PM
  • You can install Windows Home Server on more than 1 computer but the activation time out will eventually lock you out.  This is for testing purposes to make sure you have the right hardware and the install is the way you'd like it.

1 key = 1 Activated WHS, 5 keys = 5 Activated WHS

If you do not type a key in during the install, Windows Home Server will still install and run but the activation timeout will pop up within a month.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 5:58 PM

All replies

• Only when activating.  You should be able to do an install without a key or even use the same key on multiple installs.   You can only have 1 Windows Home Server activated per key.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 5:46 PM
  • So just to clarify  1 key = 1 WHS ,  5 keys = 5 WHS?  correct?
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 5:52 PM
  • Thats how it's worked for just about every other program ever requireing a online activation Smile but just because 1 WHS is so good does not mean 5 WHS's are 5x as good ;-)
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 5:57 PM
  • You can install Windows Home Server on more than 1 computer but the activation time out will eventually lock you out.  This is for testing purposes to make sure you have the right hardware and the install is the way you'd like it.

1 key = 1 Activated WHS, 5 keys = 5 Activated WHS

If you do not type a key in during the install, Windows Home Server will still install and run but the activation timeout will pop up within a month.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 5:58 PM