Uploading files from home computernto WHS computer - any goog software? RRS feed

• Question

• I found this uploading to be very slow. Can only upload one file at the time. What if I wanted to upload a directory with over 1000 files with music....would take me ages......

Is there any tools or software which can make this process more simple and less time consuming?
    Monday, March 10, 2008 9:14 PM

Answers

• You could compress batched of files using a tool such as winzip and upload those compressed archives. Then when you get home you could extract those files. Also, when it's released, Power Pack 1 will include a more robust and flexible file upload feature (which will be IE only, as it uses an ActiveX control).
    Monday, March 10, 2008 10:02 PM
  • Hi,

This article from Microsoft will give you a few ways of doing this.

HTH,

Colin

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:39 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    Are you trying to upload files via Remote Access or through the Shared Folders?

I took it to mean remote access since he said it's slow and only allows one file at a time.  I haven't tried it yet but this add-in looks promising for that:

http://ihatelinux.blogspot.com/2007/11/new-home-server-add-in-web-folders-4.html

Friday, March 14, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Your upload speed is limited on most ISP's..  I know that it's somewhere around 75kbs on my cable.  So it would take a long time to upload pretty much anything to any computer, server, website, etc..  So investigate the upload speed of the internet connection you are using to make the remote connection from. 
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 4:23 AM

All replies

• You could compress batched of files using a tool such as winzip and upload those compressed archives. Then when you get home you could extract those files. Also, when it's released, Power Pack 1 will include a more robust and flexible file upload feature (which will be IE only, as it uses an ActiveX control).
    Monday, March 10, 2008 10:02 PM
  •  

You could map a network drive to the WHS and then it shows up in explorer. Then it's just a matter of dragging folders from one window to another and you can copy multiple files/folders at once.
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:48 PM
  •  JayBirde wrote:

You could map a network drive to the WHS and then it shows up in explorer. Then it's just a matter of dragging folders from one window to another and you can copy multiple files/folders at once.

I use Vista Home Basic - and when I try Map Network Drive I have option of drive and folder. In folder option i browse, but it will only find my home computer, not my WHS computer.

Or have I dont this wrong?

Friday, March 14, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

This article from Microsoft will give you a few ways of doing this.

HTH,

Colin

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:39 PM
  • Are you trying to upload files via Remote Access or through the Shared Folders?

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:46 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    Are you trying to upload files via Remote Access or through the Shared Folders?

I took it to mean remote access since he said it's slow and only allows one file at a time.  I haven't tried it yet but this add-in looks promising for that:

http://ihatelinux.blogspot.com/2007/11/new-home-server-add-in-web-folders-4.html

Friday, March 14, 2008 7:12 PM
  • You can get the add-in that unzips on the fly (on the fly unzipper) and upload your files as zipped files.  PP1 will have multi-file upload.

Friday, March 14, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Your upload speed is limited on most ISP's..  I know that it's somewhere around 75kbs on my cable.  So it would take a long time to upload pretty much anything to any computer, server, website, etc..  So investigate the upload speed of the internet connection you are using to make the remote connection from. 
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 4:23 AM