Vista RC1 will not pass Windows Genuine Advantage Validation RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the new Beta of Vista (RC1) on one of my computers and I cannot log in due to the following error message: "Windows Update is not Working. You need to validate your copy of Microsoft Windows."

Problem is when I try to validate my system logs out, occasionally it will let me in to the MS validation Website, but nothing there supports Vista.

Any Ideas?

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 12:15 PM

Answers

• Dayzed,

Thanks for the input. Please keep in mind that Vista is still in beta and some issues are bound to arise.

Thanks again,

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 4:09 PM
  • I copied the below from a post on another thread; this should help you out:

Our protection team worked with PC Tools after identifying a compatibility issue with Spyware Doctor and the code that protects Vista activation. The last target date I heard was that PC Tools will have a release around mid-November that addresses this.  Note that they didn't have a code bug; they were just doing something that's no longer allowed in Vista -- we have sent guidance to several spyware and antivirus companies so the problem can be avoided in the future.

In the meantime, unfortunately, the workaround is to uninstall Spyware Doctor (may have to do it from within safe mode without networking...). 

**** In fact, as it turns out, you WILL have to run this from safe mode without networking.  Make sure you try safe mode w/out networking, 'cause things work differently in safe mode w/networking.

Monday, October 30, 2006 6:10 PM

All replies

• Dayzed,

Thanks for the input. Please keep in mind that Vista is still in beta and some issues are bound to arise.

Thanks again,

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 4:09 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, I actually got excellent help from MS Customer service and the problem was resolved. Come to Find out it was due to my 3rd party antivirus and firewall being in operation during upgrade.

Once again Microsoft has proven to me that they are the best at what they do, I cannot wait to own a copy of the new Vista!!!!!!

Saturday, September 16, 2006 12:25 PM
  • I have the same problem... What can I do?
    Monday, October 9, 2006 12:09 PM
  • Hi Aqua1986,

Can you please list any 3rd party software that you have installed? We have see Spyware Doctor is not compatible with Vista and could be one of the triggers of this message.

If you can please uninstall 3rd party AV/AS software and let us know.

Thanks for trying RC1.

-Srikanth

Monday, October 9, 2006 6:13 PM
  • Yeah, I had installed Mcafee Antivirus but when I installed RC1 from Windows XP genuine, McAfee didn't worked, so I installed Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 14 for Vista, (Trial Version) , that was on a Microsoft site.... And I don't know how to uninstall my last programs...

On System Panel, where it says that Windows is Activated, but a message is always appearing saying i have to validate my Windows.. When I go to validate, it says I have to activate Windows Vista first...

When I change my key on System Panel, with the same key given by Microsoft, it says the process occured sucessufully, but I have the same problem...

Monday, October 9, 2006 6:25 PM
  • RC1 was with a genuine product key. (Hey, they are all free at the moment so who wouldn't have a real one?)Suddently comes with with this message about requiring validation. I reentered the genuine key -- message that not avlid. I entered a second key (I had had big problems downloading the iso through the company firewall so I eneded up with 2.) The second wasn't valid either.Any of the methods to validate it on line failed to work. In the end, I called MS telephone validation service, entered the 48 digit key and it accepted this but then came back and said I had to validate it -- back to square one.I only have the Trend Micro antivirus dowloaded via the MS link and Office 97 beta loaded.I have a feeling this presages major problems with WGA in the future. MS also has to remember that a lot of people have to work through a company firewall and better consumer products should also be restricting s/w from contacting external sites via odd ports. Also it will take quite bit before security conscious people stop using Firefox instead of IE so having validation and updates requireing IE is not a smart move. Mindshare is very important. I really like Vista. It hink it is the first real improvement in Windows since 2000. However, if Vista gets a reputation for unreliability due to botched validation, I for one will be keeping clear of it (however regretfully).
    Sunday, October 15, 2006 10:48 PM
  • DW:

I believe you're confusing Validation with Activation.

Can you clarify?

Monday, October 16, 2006 6:33 AM
  • We're investigating an issue where our protection mechanism "may" be thinking PC-cillin has tampered a system binary (even though their code isn't doing anything malicious or wrong, i.e.; not a code bug from Trend-Micro).  I've alerted our protection team, and asked them to investigate.  In the meantime, if you can supply the specific version info about your anti-virus software the protection team can install that and try to repro.

I can't quite say this is the issue you are seeing right now, but I'm suspicious.  More in the next day or two as our investigation develops. Thanks, Rich

Thursday, October 19, 2006 4:16 PM
  • The issue I referred to above has been identified.  When upgrading from XP, certain version of Trend Micro PC-cillin are being flagged as tampered binaries.  The good news is that newer versions of PC-cillin (and the ones that Trend Micro support on Vista) do not display this behavior.  If you're having a genuine validation/activation failure afte upgrading to Vista and you're running PC-cillin, please ensure you've got the latest Vista supported rev of PC-cillin.  Thanks, Rich
    Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:30 PM
  • I need help. My friend gave me a cd containing windows vista rc1 and I installed it, but after I got spyware doctor I couldnt get to the control panel and it kept saying I needed to validate
    Monday, October 30, 2006 1:00 AM
  • I copied the below from a post on another thread; this should help you out:

Our protection team worked with PC Tools after identifying a compatibility issue with Spyware Doctor and the code that protects Vista activation. The last target date I heard was that PC Tools will have a release around mid-November that addresses this.  Note that they didn't have a code bug; they were just doing something that's no longer allowed in Vista -- we have sent guidance to several spyware and antivirus companies so the problem can be avoided in the future.

In the meantime, unfortunately, the workaround is to uninstall Spyware Doctor (may have to do it from within safe mode without networking...). 

**** In fact, as it turns out, you WILL have to run this from safe mode without networking.  Make sure you try safe mode w/out networking, 'cause things work differently in safe mode w/networking.

Monday, October 30, 2006 6:10 PM