Scan freezes RRS feed

• Question

• During tune-up, the "Scan for viruses and other potentially unwanted software" step freezes at 4%.  There is no CPU activity and it stays this way for hours until I stop the process.  Running on an XP OS and normally do not have problems.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 7:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am responding to your post because I was wondering if your computer fan runs most of the time since one care updated their system on Jan. 9. My tuneup does fine until it gets to the virus scan and mine also stops at 2% not 4 %. I have tried hitting on the fix it button that will appear once in a while. Not quite sure how to get that to come up when you want it to.

I went back and looked at my log that I created after virus scans and on Jan. 9, there is a record of there being  several suspicious files on destop. This is under settings, logging then log.  It says that some of my files that i made and placed on destop have  virus/on demand... what ever that means. Do you know? Look back at your log and see if there is any suspicious activity on Jan. 9...My computer is driving me crazy with the fan blowing so loud all the time. Plus Im afraid it is going to over heat of something.

When this first started I had left the scanner on for over 24 hours and the fan was going to whole entire time. Still stuck on 2%. I dont know if this type of thing does harm to your comuter.

thank you,, kimmari

Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:06 AM
  • Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:35 PM
  • No, the fan does nothing more or less than before.  But, we did solve the problem.  After running Error Checking on the C drive, I was able to dcan without freezing up.  Thanks for the follow-up!

Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:54 PM