Forest Migration + Upgrade to Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & OCS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I’m currently in the process of planning a migration from two existing Windows 2003 Forests +  2 x Exchange 2003 environments + 2 x LCS 2005 environments to a new Single Windows 2008 Forest + Exchange 2007 + OCS 2007.

I’m quite familiar with domain/forest migrations but having to upgrade the three main components will be quite a challenge.  Can anyone offer some advice as to the order with which this should be performed, for example:

·         Migrate user account to new domain and mailbox to Exchange 2007 at the same time?

·         Migrate user account to new domain and mailbox to Exchange 2003 in new domain then migrate mailbox to 2007.

·         Implement LCS 2005 in new domain then upgrade to OCS 2007 or just migrate to 2007?

There’s an awful lot to consider but our management expects the upgrades to be performed as part of the overall project but if there are technical justifications to what can be done and when then that’s fine as long as there’s good reasoning.

I’ve seen a couple of posts regarding similar situations but they haven’t had too many responses except for "Read ADMT" which is fine but not the same as some expert advice from people having performed something similar in a real world environment.

Any general advice/tips would be appreciated on the three product upgrades & migration.

Thanks!

• Edited by KrishnasPad Friday, June 26, 2009 7:17 PM Fixing thread title bug
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:10 PM

All replies

• Typically it would be best to only deploy the lasest versions (Exchange 2007, OCS 2007) in the new target forest.  If you don't need to retain user's contact lists then migration from LCS to OCS is very simply, otherwise there are some scripts available to export/import those settings.

I would migrate all of the users and groups ahead of time and then follow-up with the mailbox migration.  But generally the route and order is dictated by specific requirements in the envinronment; I don't think I've ever followed the exact same path for all the mgiration's I've completed.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Jeff, could you point me in the direction of those scripts?  Are they in the OCS resource kit?

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:34 PM