Just Starting RRS feed

• Question

• I am not a developer - I do not do code.  I am working on a CRM application that will be introduced to my place of employment.  Currently, I am responsible for 'testing', however I have come to find out that no one in my company has done any analysis on how the application works, ie., understanding how out of the box (OOB) functionality truly works in accordance with how the company's data is structured based upon business needs.  Obviously testing is quite a challenge, therefore I am trying to understand the OOB relationships between the OOB entities, so that I can propose correct data mapping.  I am looking for help to guide me through this process.   
    Saturday, August 2, 2014 9:42 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Can you please explain in more detail what exactly you need help with. Then I and other forum members will be able to assist you.

Thank you.

• Marked as answer by wannabebi Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:43 PM
    Saturday, August 2, 2014 10:57 PM
  • Thank you for your response.  I've never blogged for help before, so I wasn't sure just how much detail to provide.

We have purchased xRM4Legal on top of CRM.  I am specifically trying to understand how the relationship between the booking, line item, cost and expense entities as they relate to an account (case/project in CRM nomenclature). First some background:

1)  What I believe my company wants to have happen is to have an account (case/project) consist of N bookings which can consist of N hourly line items (which appears to be OOB) AND/OR N flat fee line items.

2) In addition to #1, we have a cost which will be generated out of a legacy system (this is how it is, not ideal as I believe it could have been done in xRM). The cost is going to be sent to xRM ATTACHED to a booking - created by mystical forces such as web services, SSIS, etc. (things I cannot 'see').

3) At this time, it appears we are not leveraging the Expense feature, but I would like to understand how these are treated in xRm/CRM.  Are Costs & Expenses 2 separate entities?  If so, how are they handled?  If not, how do you differentiate them when trying to create an invoice?  

3) All 3 types of transactions above (hourly, flat fee (line items) & cost) will be added to an accounts' invoice (we have a customized invoice - that may be another topic at some point).  

Now the issue:

Our flat fee's are in a fee table provided by our vendor which we have populated with our fees.  Our users will select these fee's from an outlook plugin.  It appears that once these fees are selected and booked, they appear in a OOB line item associated view - which I believe becomes the lookup for adding a cost???  If we have a fee table consisting of ours fee's, why would they appear in the OOB line item associated view?  

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I have perused the User's guide, however I think my issue is more of a 'development' question and I am having difficulty understading the developers guide.  However if there is any other reference material out there that would help me, please share.  Thank you.

Sunday, August 3, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Hi wannabebi,
    all your questions are related to the xRM4Legal packet you installed in your system. Personally I don't know this packet but maybe other users have experience on that.

To find if the entity you want to check is OOB or not you can look inside the solution installed by xRM4Legal, it will contains all the entities used by them, to check if the entity is not OOB you need to check if the name starts with a prefix (like xrm_booking) OOB entities don't have prefix (for example account or contact, but xrm_booking or new_project or legal_expense are customs)

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:49 PM
  • Thank you.  I am aware of the prefixes - I will look at them and go from there.  Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Can you please explain in more detail what exactly you need help with. Then I and other forum members will be able to assist you.

Thank you.

Saturday, August 2, 2014 10:57 PM
  • Thank you for your response.  I've never blogged for help before, so I wasn't sure just how much detail to provide.

We have purchased xRM4Legal on top of CRM.  I am specifically trying to understand how the relationship between the booking, line item, cost and expense entities as they relate to an account (case/project in CRM nomenclature). First some background:

1)  What I believe my company wants to have happen is to have an account (case/project) consist of N bookings which can consist of N hourly line items (which appears to be OOB) AND/OR N flat fee line items.

2) In addition to #1, we have a cost which will be generated out of a legacy system (this is how it is, not ideal as I believe it could have been done in xRM). The cost is going to be sent to xRM ATTACHED to a booking - created by mystical forces such as web services, SSIS, etc. (things I cannot 'see').

3) At this time, it appears we are not leveraging the Expense feature, but I would like to understand how these are treated in xRm/CRM.  Are Costs & Expenses 2 separate entities?  If so, how are they handled?  If not, how do you differentiate them when trying to create an invoice?  

3) All 3 types of transactions above (hourly, flat fee (line items) & cost) will be added to an accounts' invoice (we have a customized invoice - that may be another topic at some point).  

Now the issue:

Our flat fee's are in a fee table provided by our vendor which we have populated with our fees.  Our users will select these fee's from an outlook plugin.  It appears that once these fees are selected and booked, they appear in a OOB line item associated view - which I believe becomes the lookup for adding a cost???  If we have a fee table consisting of ours fee's, why would they appear in the OOB line item associated view?  

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I have perused the User's guide, however I think my issue is more of a 'development' question and I am having difficulty understading the developers guide.  However if there is any other reference material out there that would help me, please share.  Thank you.

Sunday, August 3, 2014 1:55 PM
  • Hi wannabebi,
    all your questions are related to the xRM4Legal packet you installed in your system. Personally I don't know this packet but maybe other users have experience on that.

To find if the entity you want to check is OOB or not you can look inside the solution installed by xRM4Legal, it will contains all the entities used by them, to check if the entity is not OOB you need to check if the name starts with a prefix (like xrm_booking) OOB entities don't have prefix (for example account or contact, but xrm_booking or new_project or legal_expense are customs)

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:49 PM
  • Thank you.  I am aware of the prefixes - I will look at them and go from there.  Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Sunday, August 3, 2014 9:38 PM