Installing Visual Studio 6 in Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I am not sure where to post this or whether anyone could help me. I have been using Visual Studio 6 (VB and VC++) for years and all my programs are in version 6 (including my home PC) running in XP. I find it difficult and not worth going for the .net. The reason is my university is using version 6 and all the PCs in the university are using version 6 hence it would be  inappropriate to go for .net. All the university PCs have SP6 installed in it and running it XP. I have bought myself a new PC (Phenom X4 9550) running on Vista Home Premium SP1. I knew I would have problems trying to install Visual Studio 6 in Vista but I cannot find a decent new PC that runs on XP. When I try to install Visual Studio 6 professional in my home PC, I got a warning that this visual studio 6 will have compatibility issues on Vista. I am not what I should do next. Should I attempt to install and end up trying to fix all compatibility issues and abandon Windows Vista. Is there any good and official installation instructions or procedures for a safe and successful installation of visual studio 6.0 on Vista Home Premium SP1.  I hate to abandon Vista which seems to be a good new OS but I need to work on my programs. I have searched and got a lot of info from some forums but they are not specific enough for Vista Home Premium SP1. 

I know Visual Studio 6 is not supported by Vista but that would mean I will have to abandon Vista because the programs means everything
    while the OS is just a platform.

Here are some of the website I have read :

Thursday, January 1, 2009 9:42 PM

Answers

All replies