Seconday WHS test unit RRS feed

• Question

• Silly question, I have a HP WHS server running 100%, I'd like to setup a new WHS unit using the 120 day trial licence on a homebrew pc so I can test apps etc on this without worrying about any disasters etc.

Will this be ok to sit on the same network? Anything I should lookout for?

Thank you.

Neil.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:34 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can run two or more Windows Home Server computers on the same network. In some network configurations, you will have to shut one down in order to join home computers to the other, but after that you will have no problem with having both running at the same time. The home computers will back up to the correct server even with both running. You may experience significant network congestion if you are running multiple backups at the same time; this is not really a WHS issue, though, but a network traffic issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

• Marked as answer by Neil Parmar Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:40 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:40 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can run two or more Windows Home Server computers on the same network. In some network configurations, you will have to shut one down in order to join home computers to the other, but after that you will have no problem with having both running at the same time. The home computers will back up to the correct server even with both running. You may experience significant network congestion if you are running multiple backups at the same time; this is not really a WHS issue, though, but a network traffic issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

• Marked as answer by Neil Parmar Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:40 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:40 PM