Install ActiveX control on IE fails RRS feed

• Question

• hi ,
    when I click connect to my Device, i get prompted for installing ActiveX control, I click install, and then nothing happens..!!
    I end up with place holder of the activeX control in a blank IE page..

any help ...

thanks
    Monday, April 28, 2008 4:35 AM

Answers

• Hi vbnetway,

Thank you for the follow up information.  We would like to take a closer look at this issue.  Would you mind submitting a bug report for us, with your logs attached?

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.
     (Note: you will have to submit a bug first, then edit it to attach your logs.)

Thanks,

Ben.

Monday, April 28, 2008 7:47 PM

All replies

• Hi vbnetway,

What browser and OS are you having this issue on?

Thanks,
    Chetan
    Monday, April 28, 2008 2:27 PM
  • I tried it from two different PCs, Vista RTM , and IE 6

i also tried to add livemesh to trustedsites to gurantee better security settings, no luck
    thanks
    Monday, April 28, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Hi vbnetway,

Thank you for the follow up information.  We would like to take a closer look at this issue.  Would you mind submitting a bug report for us, with your logs attached?

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.
     (Note: you will have to submit a bug first, then edit it to attach your logs.)

Thanks,

Ben.

Monday, April 28, 2008 7:47 PM
  • I am a new Live Mesh user and I have been able to install and use all Live Mesh features on my two home PCs.  Unfortunately, my work PC has some locked down security settings and I'm having a hard time getting the Live Desktop ActiveX control to work.  The control is prompted for installation (my company allows signed ActiveX controls to run, I believe) and installs, but then a placeholder with a Red X is displayed on the screen after install.  It also does not show in the ActiveX controls section of IE7.  Is there a place where I can download the ActiveX control by itself and test installation manually?  Otherwise, what could be the issue?

Best regards,

Brian
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:47 PM
  • I am getting the same Active Error and IE Hangs multiple times and I had to use task manager to kill the IE sessions. I have tried 8-9 times continuously so far.

I am using Windows XP Sp3 with IE8.0 browser.
    Seetharaman
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 8:22 AM
  • The browser security setting are normally what is wrong. In IE top level menu Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Internet -> set to medium. after the active X is installed you can restore the settings. OneCare and several other security apps put these settings well above default.
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 12:26 PM
  • I tried by all means roughly 20-25 times... It would have been helpful if this add-on is posted on IE8 Beta site... The IE closes with this message:

Internet Explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer

A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage.

I tried lowering the securty to Medium from Medium High but result is the same...
    Seetharaman
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 6:54 PM
  • same exact thing is happening to me.  tried restarting but didnt seem to help.  works fine on my desktop, running win7 ultimate 32 bit, but not on my laptop, running win7 home premium 64bit.  both on latest IE browser.
    Monday, March 1, 2010 2:47 AM
  • same exact thing is happening to me.  tried restarting but didnt seem to help.  works fine on my desktop, running win7 ultimate 32 bit, but not on my laptop, running win7 home premium 64bit.  both on latest IE browser.

Since you are replying to a very old thread, it may be worthwhile starting a new thread and explaining exactly what you are encountering and what you have tried. I assume that the ActiveX control is failing to install or run...
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, March 1, 2010 3:58 PM