Business laptop connected to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am considering buying the HP MediaSmart server for a two laptop home. I also have a laptop which is joined to a domain at my business. Can this business laptop also be connected to the WHS when used at home (for backup purposes)?

Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:47 AM

Answers

• Absolutely. I use my domain-joined laptop both at work and home, and use the Connector software to connect to backup my laptop at both my work home server and my home..home server.  This way I have an offsite backup at both locations, and can retrieve my backed-up files from both locations if desired (without using remote access).
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 3:14 AM

All replies

• Absolutely. I use my domain-joined laptop both at work and home, and use the Connector software to connect to backup my laptop at both my work home server and my home..home server.  This way I have an offsite backup at both locations, and can retrieve my backed-up files from both locations if desired (without using remote access).
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 3:14 AM
  • That's interesting. Do you have to do anything special on the laptop to deal with the fact that it's being backed up by two different WHS systems, or does it just work? (I'm thinking in terms of whether the laptop itself knows what has and hasn't changed since the "last backup".)
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 5:10 AM
  • If you have the laptop set up for dual-homing and with the Connector software installed, WHS will back it up with no problems as it's WHS that records what has been backed up. However, does you company policy allow for official documentation to be treated like that?

Saturday, January 12, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Thanks. In my case I'm planning to do this with two personally-owned WHS systems, so the confidentiality question doesn't arise.
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 10:51 AM