USB Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I was thinking about attaching a bunch of old 320GB drives that I own via USB but had a question about performance.

How does WHS show the drives adn allow access to them?

I the WHS going to slow down to the slowest drives speed?

Since the network is gigabit and performance is reasonable will accessing files from USB be noticibly slower?

Thanks in advance

Monday, December 17, 2007 1:28 PM

Answers

•  Pansonsito wrote:

The Home Server Console will display them very similarly in the Server Storage tab and allow you to add which ever ones you want to the storage pool.

Pansonsito wrote:

Not directly... but only when reading/writing to one of the USB drives... either through a normal file operation, backup or balancing.

Note that it is recommended that you only plug in one USB drive per USB controller in your PC to limit the performance hit that multiple USB drives can cause.

Pansonsito wrote:
    Since the network is gigabit and performance is reasonable will accessing files from USB be noticibly slower?

That really depends on the speed of the drives, controllers and the location of files... which means there is only one way to know for sure in your case... trying it.

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:59 PM

All replies

•  Pansonsito wrote:

The Home Server Console will display them very similarly in the Server Storage tab and allow you to add which ever ones you want to the storage pool.

Pansonsito wrote:

Not directly... but only when reading/writing to one of the USB drives... either through a normal file operation, backup or balancing.

Note that it is recommended that you only plug in one USB drive per USB controller in your PC to limit the performance hit that multiple USB drives can cause.

Pansonsito wrote:

That really depends on the speed of the drives, controllers and the location of files... which means there is only one way to know for sure in your case... trying it.

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Another thing you can do is to take apart these drives and install them inside your server, assuming that you have space in your drive and IDE connections available - that should allow for faster access.  I have occasionally bought external USB hard drives solely for the internal drive since the price is sometimes cheaper then buying a bare OEM drive when you consider rebates, etc.

You can still keep the external case and put back the original drive, or another drive, later on if you still want to use it as an external drive.

Most of the external drives I have bought have 2 screws holding them together although sometimes you may have to pry off a thin metal plate.  Open up the case and you will likely see a regular IDE hard drive with a small controller card.  One Western Digital external drive had some plastic tabs that broke when I opened it but generally it is a pretty simple process.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:53 PM