ACTIVATION LIMIT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I bought this disc the same month Win XP was released from Future Shop which is a big electronics retailer here in Canada and  are now owned by Best Buy.

I am currently using a backup that I had done back in early July which was activated no problem. It was also verified as being genuiine by Microsoft. Here is my current diagnostic. The reason I reformatted is I found that this installation was not quite working properly. Unfortunately I have reached my activation limit according to Microsoft which means I can never do another fresh install with my current product key as it is now blocked.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6QRJY-DWPPC-B47KF
    Windows Product Key Hash: LNllrh5Pqen9649Xo6nqpRBdfg4=
    Windows Product ID: 55285-011-5898775-21243
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom
    ID: {70A71C33-A2C5-4E7F-AAD5-DEA7A0F686AC}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-543-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{70A71C33-A2C5-4E7F-AAD5-DEA7A0F686AC}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-B47KF</PKey><PID>55285-011-5898775-21243</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1004336348-1767777339-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1201   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20100224000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>B47D3B470184807E</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Atlantic Standard Time(GMT-04:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 13350:ASUSTeK Computer Inc|1889D:GENUINE C&C INC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Brian

• Saturday, August 14, 2010 10:10 PMNoel D Paton Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hi

I want to thank everyone that helped with this problem. I did escalate the issue. After Microsoft did an investigation they did find that I had exceeded my limit for activations with XP. They were kind enough to issue me a new product number  for which I was very grateful.

Apparently when you install a new motherboard that is the same as onstalling XP and a new computer. Therefore the product key is no longer valid. I am assuming Microsoft is quite lenient with a situation like this as I have installed 4 motherboards and had about 71 activations.

So all computer builders out there keep track of your activations or you too could have your product number blocked and will need to get a new one.

Sincerely

Brian Arsenault 

• Marked as answer by arsenaum52 Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:29 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by arsenaum52 Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by arsenaum52 Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:42 AM
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:26 AM

All replies

• I am defintiely intrigued by this post - as it arrived in my Win7 newsgroup, with some of my profile details embedded! That said, there's usually about 5 times you can activate by Internet, and any number of times by phone. MS won't define the number to give themselves some 'wiggle-room', and because some licenses will allow more internet activations than others. If MS get the feeling that they're being 'taken for a ride' on activations, then they may block a Key for 'abuse' - it's then up to the Key-holder to prove otherwise.
    Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Hi

Sorry about getting part of your profile in my post. Guess my copy and paste went a little too far.

That being said how do I prove to Microsoft that all my activations have been only on one computer? I build my own computers and am always installing new parts which most times requires that I need to activate. Over 8 years that can add up to lot of activations. I am sure I can't be the only compter hobbyist that has run into this problem.

Someone must have an answer to this problem and no. buying another copy of WIN XP is not a suitable answer.

Sincerely

Brian

Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Hello arsenaum52,

You wrote, "Unfortunately I have reached my activation limit according to Microsoft which means I can never do another fresh install with my current product key as it is now blocked."

According to the mgadiag report, your installation of Windows XP Home Edition is showing as Genuine.

I think you may have misinterpreted what you experienced when attempting to activate.  Generally speaking, Microsoft's activation servers permit a certain number of activations of any given product key over a certain time period.  If you exceed this number, you get a message that says something like you have activated this copy of Windows too many times.  While that sounds ominous, it really means that from now on, you have to do a Telephonic Activation rather than the automatic online activation.

So give it a try by rerunning the Activation Wizard, then choose Activate My Product Over the Telephone, and follow the prompts.  You will read a 54 digit installation ID into the automated phone system, and it will read back to you a 54 digit activation ID that you enter into the Wizard, and if all goes well you will activate just fine.  Takes about seven minues.

If not, post back for more help. :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 3:22 PM
  •   I have checked this key and it has been blocked due to abuse.  This means that key was automatically blocked by the system when it passed activation count threshold.

I recently received an update to out policy regarding this type of issue.  You need to contact the Product Activation call center (using the Activate by Phone process) they will tell you the key has been blocked. Describe how/why the key was activated so many times.  The Rep should then offer to escalate the case. If they don't, you should request the escalation. If the rep still refuses to escalate or doesn't know what you are talking about, ask for thier supevisor and ask them to reference the policy doc titled "Blocked PID Escaltion process update" sent out by email on August 18 2010.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by arsenaum52 Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:13 AM
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:27 PM
  • Hi

I want to thank everyone that helped with this problem. I did escalate the issue. After Microsoft did an investigation they did find that I had exceeded my limit for activations with XP. They were kind enough to issue me a new product number  for which I was very grateful.

Apparently when you install a new motherboard that is the same as onstalling XP and a new computer. Therefore the product key is no longer valid. I am assuming Microsoft is quite lenient with a situation like this as I have installed 4 motherboards and had about 71 activations.

So all computer builders out there keep track of your activations or you too could have your product number blocked and will need to get a new one.

Sincerely

Brian Arsenault 

• Marked as answer by arsenaum52 Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:29 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by arsenaum52 Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by arsenaum52 Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:42 AM
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:26 AM