none
WHS v1 refuses to register domain RRS feed

• Question

• My home-built WHS v1 box was working quite well when my router conked out. I replaced the router and forwarded all the necessary ports. That is where the problems started. After turning the Remote Access on, it refused to acknowledge the domain name, so I released it. Now when I try to reconfigure it, the registration process accepts the Live Id and password, but refuses to go ahead. If I choose another Live Id, the screen accepts it, moves on, but gives a message saying 'WIndows Home Server could not open the setup program for your chosen Domain Name Provider'.

Any idea what could be done???

Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:24 AM

All replies

• Guys,

Problem sorted. To register a domain, I am supposed to use a client PC and not the WHS box itself. I was using a client PC, but a Mac. I was using RDP to connect to the WHS box and then trying to register it. It wouldn't accept that method. I used a Windows 7 client and abracadabra, it worked. So everything is back to normal. Everything except for one - cannot use the homeserver URL to visit the homepage as the current router has loopback disabled. Well, you can't have everything. :)

Friday, June 24, 2011 10:59 AM
  • And the moral of the story is if you stick with the Dashboard, you will not have a problem!!
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 11:31 AM
  • I am having this same problem with a twist.  When I use my live account (notice that I have to be logged in to Live to post this), the screen flashes and simply returns with no changes or error messages.  This repeats endlessly.  So... I used an old hotmail account, which gets me farther.  It let's me accept and then returns the error message as documented in this thread.  Any thoughts?  Also, I hate to admit it, but I don't know what the dashboard is.  I am able to connect from a local PC and run the system as though I was logged on directly, but still the same thing happens.

thnx 

Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:53 AM