Wake on Lan RRS feed

• Question

• There was a discussion begun at http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2007/02/08/home-computer-backup.aspx#comments

on the windows blog about Wake on Lan.  I just wanted to put up the request of adding Wake on Lan and Wake on Wan capability through WHS so that the server can turn on the other machines in the house (I only want one "always on" device).  There are two reasons for adding this functionality:

1.  Wake a machine from being turned off to perform the nightly backup.

2.  Wake a computer turned off in the home for a Remote Desktop session, if you are away from the house.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 5:04 PM

All replies

• This works now in beta 2, with XP and Vista clients.  Not sure if it is using WOL "Magic packets" or not, but it works.

Kevin

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:50 PM
  •  Kevin Royalty wrote:

This works now in beta 2, with XP and Vista clients. Not sure if it is using WOL "Magic packets" or not, but it works.

Kevin

Well, the real question is if the machine is turned of fully (several machines i've encountered keep the graphic card fan running when in stand by mode). If the machines hibernate, i can life with that.

I don't want computers running all night (i have one in my bedroom). It's no problem if they boot up at 3 o clock in the night, do the backup, and shut themselves down again. But if they're just in standby, that's an issue.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 2:07 PM
  • PCs will automatically wake up from sleep or hibernate to do their backups (and I'm fairly sure it's not network based, unless my laptop suddenly learned how to do wireless wake-on-LAN). They won't wake up from being switched off.
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 12:30 AM
  • Let me be more precise - Wake from Standby (S1,S3 state) and Hibernate (S4 state) are to my knowledge supported by WHS.  However, I don't think wake from "Soft Off" (S5 state - the state your computer goes in when you press Start - Turn Off) is supported (please correct me if I am wrong).  It is the ability to wake from S5 that I am most interested as that is frequently the state my computers are in.  I know that my laptop is a lost cause as far as S5 goes (wireless NIC's almost never support Wake on Lan by Magic Packets because of power concerns), but both my desktops are wired (Gigabit) and support Wake on Lan (from S5) using Magic Packets (actually a few other methods as well).  I could always program my own custom app using something like Depicus, but it would be so much nicer/easier if it was already included in WHS.  This would be particularly convenient in the Remote Desktop scenario from my original post - in this case if WOL isn't included for S5, then I have two options to remotely turn on a computer:

1.  Find, buy, or write (I would either find or write because I am cheap :) ) an app to send WOL packets from WHS, and then use WHS to initiate the Remote Desktop session.

2.  Use port forwarding on the router to directly send a WOL packet to the appropriate computer (how many consumers even know how to log in to their router?).  But then if I go that route, I might as well finish it off and use port forwarding for the Remote Desktop session - in which case, WHS is useless as far as Remote Desktop goes.

In the best of all worlds, I would prefer that WOL (from S5) is included in WHS so that I can simply log in to WHS, tell it to turn on (from S5, or Standby, or Hibernate) whatever computer, and then go about my business.  Otherwise, I have to find two solutions: the solution provided by WHS to wake from Standby and Hibernate, and then my own solution to wake from S5.  Clearly, I would prefer one solution.

Thursday, February 15, 2007 3:43 AM
  •  

I was logging on to submit the same request - the ability for WHS to send WOL (Magic Packet) requests.  It doesn't make much sense to have the functionality to start RDP sessions, but have to rely on the machine already being on.

I added this functionality fairly easily (and clumsily), but it should be very easy for MS to do it right.  I don't know if there is some liscencing/legal problem with putting it in.

There's a program called mc-wol.exe that can be run as a command line.  I modified admin.aspx in the inetpub\remote directory to add an link to a new asp file that will execute mc-wol to send the MP.   The MAC can be found in the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients).

Matt

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 3:44 AM
  • I just came to report the same thing.  great minds think a like.

It would be extermely help full for a WOL client to be present.

I'll try and think of a few other suggestions

Michael
    Monday, March 12, 2007 9:55 PM
  • I'll second, and third that. Would be a very very useful feature - I don't like using "hibernate". and "off" saves more power.

JAY
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:22 AM
  • Hibernate and off are the same thing, as far as power consumption is concerned. Or do you mean "hard off" when you say off, i.e. you turn off the switch on the power supply in addition to using the shut down menu option (which is "soft off")?
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:29 AM
  • Yup, exactly the same request, just adding my voice. It would be great if WHS could send a magic packet to wake up remote clients when using remote desktop connect remotely.

I do like the functionality of centralizing remote access through WHS, but if the remote XP machines are in standby, WHS does not seem to have the capability of waking them up.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:45 PM