Installing OCS 2007 in a trusted domain environment RRS feed

• Question

• I have been able to get OCS 2007 installed and working internally just fine.  The problem that I am having is getting the software to work with my trusted domain.  I'm not sure that this is even possible with the setup that I'm using, so I'm asking some feedback and suggestions on how to correct this problem.  Basically the way we are trying to set things up is to allow users from one trusted domain be added to the OCS domain.  There is a 2 way trust installed and DNS seems to be working correctly.  When trying to enable a user on the other Active Directory of the trusted domain I get the following error:

"The operation is not supported on object(s) from a foreign forest.  If you know the the object(s) belong to the current forest, please wait for the Active Directory to complete its replication.

All we wont to do is have the user from both domain access the same OCS server.  You would think that with a VPN connection and a 2 way trust installed this wouldn't be an issues, but that's not the case.

It could be that we are trying something totally wrong from the way that it was designed to work in domain environments.  If someone could please point me in the right direction, I be very grateful for the replies.

Thanks in advance,

`Joey

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:33 PM

All replies

• Have you run the OCS domain or forest prep in the trusted domain? It appears the errors you are getting is due to the fact the accounts do not have the proper attributes. With that being said you can use the OCS resource forest deployment method to allow user accounts from one forest to access the OCS servers in a second (resource) forest. Information on how to do this can be found in the OCS MultiForest Deployment Guide.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:52 AM
  •  

Dhannifin thank you for the reply.  Can you please point me in the right direction to obtain the OCS MultiForest Deployment Guide?  I can't seem to find this anywhere on the Internet.

Thanks,

Joey

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Joey,

You can download the latest version of that document here:

Office Communications Server 2007 Document:

Configuring Office Communications Server 2007 in a Multiple Forest Environment

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?FamilyID=1d7cf1e6-6770-422f-b744-e1764f5666ae&displaylang=en

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:06 PM
  •  

Hey guys thanks for all your help.  This should point me in the right direction now.  If I have anymore troubles I'll post back.

Thanks again for all your help in finding the document.  MS should make this a little easier to find. 

Thanks,

Joey

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:56 PM
  • Joey,

Glad we could help. Please do post back if you have problems. Be more than happy to help.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:59 PM