Install 3rd Party Server aps RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to install 3rd party software aps?  For instance, I would like to be able to setup a Teamspeak server, or a chat room server, or a Shoutcast server for my friends, family, relatives to join/connect to.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 11:22 PM

All replies

• Yes and no. Yes, in that anything that will run on Windows Server 2003 will probably run on WHS. No in that the setup can be rather more complex that you at first think, and there's not a lot of support available. Here are a few considerations:
    1. Your primary disk partition is only 10 GB in size. How much space do you need?
    2. If you need to store large amounts of data, you have two choices. You can add a disk to the server but not add it to the storage pool in WHS Console, or you can store your data in a share on the server, accessed just like any other share. Can your app store and access data in a network share?
    3. WHS is primarily designed for serving internal users, and is probably optimized for that role. Does your app require other optimizations?
    That said, I'm running a library database on my WHS. So it's doable. You just have to be willing to experiment.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:25 AM
  • So it is possible to run software.  It just has to be tailored to WHS.  Thanks a lot.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:54 AM