Seeking advice from Microsoft IT professionals RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently taking an it course at a private college that is based on the it professional tree of the roadmap.

Unfortunately, I have an issue with my eyes that prevents me from being able to view tn panel monitors. I require an IPS panel. (That of which I am equipped with)

Due to my "handicap", my job opportunity window seems incredibly small. My ultimate goal is to attain a linux or database developer or administration position. I am unsure as to how I will get there, and that is my main problem.

My initial plan was to get certified in regards to sql up to the developer level and hopefully be employed as a junior dbd. Apparently it's easy to get an entry level job as a sql dba or dev with just certs and a diploma and no experience but I myself find this hard to believe.

Any Ideas? I love this industry and am genuinely enjoying my studies, but if there are no jobs for me then maybe I should call it quits...

University is not an option unfortunately...

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:42 AM

Answers

• This is a difficult question to answer as it really depends on where you live.  I know that here in Australia there are special programs in place to assist those with disabilities therefore you probably wouldn't have any problem finding suitable work here.

With regards to "it's easy getting a job as a SQL DBA/DBD with just certs etc", once again it really depends on where you live and the current employment market.  If there's plenty of work around you may be able to find a position.  If the market is tight, it's unlikely that you'll find a position with little or no experience.

The best thing for you to do is contact your local Government Assistance Office to determine what programs may be available to assist people with disabilities.  You should also spend time doing virtual labs to at least get some sort of hands-on experience http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/learning-center/virtual-labs.aspx

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:18 AM