none
Restore 3TB of Data to Proper Share Folders RRS feed

• Question

• I had to perform a Re-installation of my WHS. That is done, as well as all updates. I have 6TB space across 6 drives. Now, the Server Storage (in Console) shows 3TB being used by "System". I remoted into WHS and my data is there....just not where it's supposed to be. It's under D:\folders\long alpha numeric string\shares where my share folders are listed (Music, Photos, etc.). The data (that I want back) is also in D:\folders\string\shares.

The folder D:\Shares has all the folders, but they are empty except for a desktop.ini file, and the server software in the server folder.

Demigrator is working the cpu at 100% for two days now.

Should I give demigrator more time to rebuild tombstones (I don't even know if that's what it's doing, just guessing) for 3TB worth of data? Can I, or should I, attempt to manually move my files into the share folders?

I am not in a hurry, as I have been troubleshooting this for about 3 weeks (a few hours here and there). I am not panicking, because my data is THERE, I CAN SEE IT; I just can't ACCESS it! Frustrating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:25 PM

All replies

• Want to upload a screenshot showing the file tree, but can't figure out how.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:11 AM
  • I have two 2TB drives coming tomorrow (Yeah, the WD EARS drives....already have one in there and hasn't given me any issues). So, now what I need to know is the best way to get my data off. I was going to connect a drive (NOT put into pool) and just copy the files to the new drive. Will that work?

Also, after this is complete, how do I regain my space? In other words, how do I delete the 3TB of "system" files without breaking my server? If I continually "Remove drives" from within the console, eventually it will tell me I need more space, or will it simply delete the files?

Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:23 PM