troubles putting PC to sleep RRS feed

• Question

• Not a WHS problem per se but thought I'd ask any way.

I've converted from using hibernate on my desktop to sleep mode. I can sucessfully put it to sleep using the keyboard button and it will stay asleep until I manually wake it. I haven't tried tried having WHS wake it during a backup or using any sort of WOL feature.

Now the problem. I've also set the power settings to put the PC to sleep after a period of time. But it never goes to sleep. Apparently something is keeping it from sleeping. How do I track this down?
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 8:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It could be a few things;

does the NIC have any WOL settings which might trigger it to wake up, or, does it have any Power Management settings.

Do you have any external USB drives, some of them have their own circuits which 'ping' the computer, to check that they're still attached.

Some programs, like CD/Media ones,  routinely check the CD/DVD to see if there's anything in it.

Colin

Monday, May 12, 2008 5:01 PM
  • No USB drives. AFAIK there are no background programs like CD/Media running. Power Management is set to only allow management stations to bring it out of standby.

What's weird is that I had it set to hibernate after an hour and that worked fine. Once I changed the power settings to sleep instead it no longer sleeps by itself.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 6:36 PM