Please Evaluate Configuration RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

All.

Please evaluate the following Hardware config. for a Windows Home Server.

I will have the server set up in Texas. Most likely in a house that will be mostly unattended due to Business Travel

and vacation.

My son iand Daughter-in-law will be in Japan and my daughter and son-in-law will be in Louisiana and they will access the server through the internet.

My idea was to install the software of the APC UPS to shutdown and possibly restart?? the server in

the event of power outages.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Pat.

o Dell  Dimension 4600

o WINDOWS HOME SERVER

o INTEL PENTIUM 4 /  2.67GHz @533MHz

o 2.3GB CRUCIAL DIMM RAM

o MAD DOG MD-16XDVD9A4 [CD-RW / DVD-ROM]

o 2X 1TB HITACHI DESKSTAR SATA HDDs with CABLE-TO-GO SATA DATA and POWER CABLE KIT

o Iogear GIC704SR5W6 4-Port RAID5 eSATA PCI Host Card - PCI, 1.5Gbps

o 4X 500GB HITACHI eSATA EXTERNAL HDD

o APC BR1200 RS 1200VA / 780Watt / Back-UPS

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Pat,

the system would work, but allow some comments:

Pentium 4 CPU is relativly bad if it comes to power saving.

2.3 GB RAM sounds strange, type?

A RAID5 adapter? What for exactly do you plan to use it, since RAID on WHS is not supported. If for backing up the shares externally this would be usually ok, if you find a proper driver for the Controller for Windows Server 2003.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Olaf.

Thanks for the reply...

The Pentium 4 was legacy in the MOBO, and it is a robust CPU. I did not want to intially invest in New CPU but may in the near future...

When Purchased, the machine had only 256MB RAM. I have since filled all 4 Memory Slots with 2 each Crucial DIMM 1GB and kept the original Dell 256MB. I have cross leveled of course so each bank matches...

I was considering the RAID 5 adaptor to use soley as a hardware solution for the four 1TB eSATA external drives for added storeage to the pool. I was not going to configure the SOFTWARE RAID...but use this solution to enable better file duplication..Is there a better hardware solution? 

And finally, how user friendly will this system be from long distance? As I stated earlier, I will go for stretches of 4 to 6 weeks without being physically present at the machine and hope the APC Back-UPS is sufficent.

Thanks....

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

As a generality, that setup is no problem. However, I don't see the need for the RAID addition, Microsoft deprecate using it, and in fact, if there is ever a problem, the first thing they will say, is try without the RAID. Others on here do use it, but as WHS performs it's own version of duplication across hard drives, your data in the Shared Folders will have the security anyway.

If you went this route, you could then use one of the drives as yet another backup copy, as WHS can be set to copy your Shared Folders to this other drive.

If your ISP supports remote access, the server can be controlled remotely with no problems, as can your Client PC's, (if they support remote access - not all versions of XP/Vista do so),

I don't know if you already have them, but there are some informative documents, either here, or here.

Colin

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Colin.

Thanks.

The only reason I was considering that particular PCI card is it is the only one I can find that will support 4 eSATA Hard Drives. I can use that card without RAID, correct? Just install, then hook up the 4 eSATA drives and they will add to the storeage pool?

All clients have eiither XP PRO, Vista Home Premium, or XP Media Center 2005. My system is Muti-Boot Vista Home Premium and XP Media Center 2005. So the remote access and backups should not be a problem?

Will the UPS in my original post be suffiient? And I know it will shut down the server during blackout, but will it restart it and resume operation?

I was also considering using VNC if the start up was flaky.

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 5:46 PM