none
Windows 7 PCs unable to run Windows 10 but still constantly bombarded by upgrade attempts

Question

• Which forum should I ask the following question?

I have a Dell Latitude E4300 laptop that is running Windows 7 x86 quite nicely.  In fact, for me, this is the perfect travel/basic business use PC (I'm in IT).

Like every other Windows 7 PC, I have the upgrade to Windows 10 icon in the Taskbar and I'm continually (and increasingly aggressively) prompted to upgrade to Windows 10.

That would be ok with me, except the "Get Windows 10" tool reports that "This PC can't run Windows 10" because "The CPU isn't supported."

Yet, every day I am still incessantly nagged to upgrade to Windows 10 on this PC.  But I can't.  When Windows 7 reached EOL I'll be running Linux full time on this laptop.  Despite the Windows 10 upgrade tool's suggestions to "Check out new PCs", I have no intention of doing so.

My concern is that the Windows 10 upgrade is going to eventually be changed from an Optional Windows Update to a Recommended Windows Update, which will begin the Windows 10 upgrade process automatically whenever upgrades are installed.  This will obviously fail, every time, since my CPU isn't supported.

So, my question: how do I get Windows 10 to leave me alone on this laptop?!  It's perfect exactly as it is, it can't run Windows 10, but Windows 10 doesn't seem to recognize that it won't run on this laptop and I'm bombarded by increasingly pushy demands to upgrade.

Where can I ask this?  I think Windows 10 should not be forced on PCs that are unable to run Windows 10.  Since Microsoft disagrees, I need to disable/remove the constant and unwelcome solicitations to install Windows 10 on this specific laptop.

Thursday, December 10, 2015 1:04 AM

Answers