Missing Drive. How to Proceed? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got an HP WHS with 3 500gig and 1 250.  Over the last few days when reading and writing to the Server there were times when it would appear to almost lock up from 30 sec to 1 minute.  I logged into the Console and everything was reported as fine.  I thought a reboot might help.  When it rebooted one of the 500gig drives went missing(not the system drive).  The Server wouldn't boot or was going to take a very long time as long as the bad drive was inserted, when it was removed it booted fine.  There is no purple or blue light to show there is a drive in the bay.  I've taken it in and out and it won't show back up.  I don't have anything on there that I don't have backed up else where and there are no computer backups, I was using this one as the media server.(I have another that has all the backups). Couple of questions:

1. Can I try the bad drive in the other WHS that has an open slot without screwing up my backups to make sure its the drive and not the slot in the original WHS?

2. Should I pull the drive and then remove it from the Server Console?  There was very little duplication turned on.

3. How do I get rid of the files that were on the drive that might still show up in the folders?

I'd prefer not to have to re-install.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 2:43 AM

Answers

• KCXLT said:

I've got an HP WHS with 3 500gig and 1 250.  Over the last few days when reading and writing to the Server there were times when it would appear to almost lock up from 30 sec to 1 minute.  I logged into the Console and everything was reported as fine.  I thought a reboot might help.  When it rebooted one of the 500gig drives went missing(not the system drive).  The Server wouldn't boot or was going to take a very long time as long as the bad drive was inserted, when it was removed it booted fine.  There is no purple or blue light to show there is a drive in the bay.  I've taken it in and out and it won't show back up.  I don't have anything on there that I don't have backed up else where and there are no computer backups, I was using this one as the media server.(I have another that has all the backups). Couple of questions:

1. Can I try the bad drive in the other WHS that has an open slot without screwing up my backups to make sure its the drive and not the slot in the original WHS?

It should be ok (just don't add it to the pool obviously).  However, just to be on the safe side, I would put in a client PC (instead of your other server).

KCXLT said:

2. Should I pull the drive and then remove it from the Server Console?  There was very little duplication turned on.

Yes (but make sure your server is completely up-to-date before you do that).  If the drive doesn't work, you don't really have any other option.

KCXLT said:

3. How do I get rid of the files that were on the drive that might still show up in the folders?

There is no supported method of deleting the tombstones.  However, other users have used the Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool and it worked for them.

KCXLT said:

Thanks
    Kevin

• Marked as answer by KCXLT Saturday, January 3, 2009 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:31 AM

All replies

• KCXLT said:

I've got an HP WHS with 3 500gig and 1 250.  Over the last few days when reading and writing to the Server there were times when it would appear to almost lock up from 30 sec to 1 minute.  I logged into the Console and everything was reported as fine.  I thought a reboot might help.  When it rebooted one of the 500gig drives went missing(not the system drive).  The Server wouldn't boot or was going to take a very long time as long as the bad drive was inserted, when it was removed it booted fine.  There is no purple or blue light to show there is a drive in the bay.  I've taken it in and out and it won't show back up.  I don't have anything on there that I don't have backed up else where and there are no computer backups, I was using this one as the media server.(I have another that has all the backups). Couple of questions:

It should be ok (just don't add it to the pool obviously).  However, just to be on the safe side, I would put in a client PC (instead of your other server).

KCXLT said:

Yes (but make sure your server is completely up-to-date before you do that).  If the drive doesn't work, you don't really have any other option.

KCXLT said:

There is no supported method of deleting the tombstones.  However, other users have used the Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool and it worked for them.

KCXLT said:

Thanks
    Kevin

• Marked as answer by KCXLT Saturday, January 3, 2009 1:52 AM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:31 AM
  • Thanks

Here's what I did for anyone else that this may happen too.

I opened the Shared Folders and copied anything I could get off the Server.  Most of it copied, some files and directories there were errors.
    I then deleted all the files from the Shared Folders.
    Then removed the drive from within the Console.  I had already pulled the drive out of the Server because it wouldn't boot with it in.
    All the file conflicts disappeared and the health changed back to normal.
    I had some Add-ins that I couldn't copy off, so I re-added them to the Add-in Folders.
    Just waiting for the new drives to show up, but the Server is working fine again.
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 1:52 AM