Backup always unsuccessful RRS feed

• Question

• WHS 2011 is able to back up my laptop no problem every single time. However, my desktop machine has never successfully been backed up by WHS 2011. I replaced the 'C' drive and reformatted the secondary drive I use for data but still cannot run a backup. Error information very poor and all I am told is "Backup did not succeed. An unknown error prevented backup from completing successfully". I have formatted my drives, run CHKDISK several times...I have no idea what WHS is looking for. I see some references to Volume Shadow but not familiar with this. Is there a setting on VSS I am supposed to make in order for WHS to operate? I have seen several other people with a similar problem but has anyone identified what the solution is? Any help most appreciated.
    Chris R
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:34 PM

All replies

• Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the connector software?
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 10:03 PM
  • I have not. Why would you think that would make any difference? I'm willing to do it I just don't understand how that would make a difference. Should I uninstall the software and then do something else before I reinstall the software? Why do you suggest this...I'm not really understanding your view.

Chris R
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 10:59 PM
  • I encountered the same problem with the backup's. Problems were indicated and identified to the vss, I tried all kind of solutions, hints, etc... and finally, only a complete reinstall of the whs2011 software on the server brought me the solution.
    Now backups are faultless. Strange....

This kind of problems make me wonder if I really can add all my important documents, music.... to whs2011 as a trustworthy product for backup.

Right now for safety, I am still doing a second manual backup of every document to a nas disc, and that was not the meaning when I installed this Microsoft product to a server. I expected a faultless, secure product from the beginning, and not after 2 to 3 reinstalls.

Sunday, December 4, 2011 7:39 AM