Floppy drive needed? Depends on your type of installation, apparently. RRS feed

• Question

• I had been running the trial version for almost 4 months and had been very happy with it.  I bought the full version and went to do a server reinstallation.  Only after the format of the C: drive and reboot did I remember that the floppy controller on the WHS motherboard didn't work.  (I sincerely hope someone at Microsoft was punished for the decision to require SATA drivers on a floppy drive for XP/Server 2003 installations instead of allowing drivers on a secondary hard disk, CD/DVD drive, USB drive, etc.)

So, let me get this straight...

A floppy disk drive is not required for the full WHS installation, but it *is* required for a server reinstallation?  The specs are different depending on which type of installation is run?  Not cool.

I blew up my installation, lost all my backups, almost lost my data (To where would I back it up - the WHS *is* my backup), and now I can't get qsm.exe and demigrator.exe to play nice.  I guess I will do another full server installation and hope for the best.

This is one instance where the demo version seems to be far superior to the real product. 
    Friday, July 31, 2009 1:49 PM

Answers

• A floppy drive is required if your system disk is connected to a controller that has no "in box" drivers in Windows Server 2003.

As for lack of USB support and lack of SATA support, neither technology was in wide use at the time Windows Server 2003 was released. The general recommendation is to configure all your SATA controllers for legacy or IDE mode, so that the "in box" PATA drivers will allow disk access.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:43 PM