Syncing SQL CE databases from PPC to Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Will these synchronization services allow for syncing SQL Compact Edition database files between a pocket pc device and the desktop, or is an actual server version of SQL Server required? If this is not supported, are there plans to support this ability? I know there is currently the ability to sync sqlce files on a device with Access files on a desktop, but I'm looking for the ability to sync sqlce files on both platforms.

Thanks

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 11:25 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Monday, January 29, 2007 5:31 PM

All replies

• Let me make sure that I understand you correctly. You want to use SQLCE as the client database on PPC and also on the Desktop as the server database?

This is not the primary scenario for the sync framework. That being said, you could use the framework classes to get changes from each side and apply it on the other side. Definitely more work than just calling Synchronize().

Instead you could use SQL Express as the desktop database, do you have strong reasons for not using it? I am carious to know J

Monday, January 29, 2007 9:26 PM
  • Only because SQL CE can be deployed to both platforms in a commercial application without the need to install a database server. SQL CE files can be treated much more like a proprietary data format to the application.
    Monday, January 29, 2007 9:46 PM

• Agree. So how many clients do you expect to sync with the desktop server? Is it just 1-1 relationship?

At any rate, this scenrio is possible but needs a little bit of work to move changes from client to server and the other way around. The ClientSyncProvider class has all the utitlity functions you need to track, enumerate and apply changes to the SqlCe database.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 5:09 PM
  • Yes, I would assume 1 ppc client per desktop, however, that ppc client might sync with more than one desktop. For example, my work pc and my home pc.
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:53 PM

• I can see how you can use the sync framework to sync between SQLCE and SQLCE. However, this is limited to 1-1 relationship. The 1-n relationship with SQLCE is not supported at this point. Future versions could enable this scenario though.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:42 PM
  • Hi
    1) I wanted to sync data from pocket pc device database (.sdf) to SQL server database on Desktop pc. Would it be possible to connect device to desktop pc and perform sync operation or .sdf database should be moved on to desktop pc using RAPI etc.

2) Sometimes I would need to sync data from pocket pc DB to desktop pc DB through wireless connection. Does OCS provide me unique solution in both the cases?  Please suggest me. Thanks,

Sunday, February 4, 2007 3:26 AM