OEM Downgrade from Vista BE to XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I've read that OEM copies of Vista BE are eligible to downgrade to XP. If I buy a new PC from Dell with Vista Business, how do I receieve a product key for installing XP?

Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• No.  You have the right to downgrade, but you have to supply your own Windows XP product key and installation CD.

Contact Dell for further information.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:07 PM
  • Hi ryuanclemson,

Please see http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferencesheet.pdf for more information on downgrading from Vista to XP.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager 

Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:22 PM
  • Hi Darin,

This piece of information that you provided was indeed useful. However, i have a question that i would like to ask.

I have an Asus Notebook running on XP Professional and recently bought a HP Tablet running on Vista Home. Can i actually use the XP CD to downgrade my Tablet? Also, i notice that there is a XP Tablet. Does that means that if i use XP Prof to reinstall on my HP Tablet, it will lost its touch screen functions?

Actually the main reason why i want to downgrade is mainly on my other softwares compatibility issues. I have many applications running on my XP and they seems to have compatibility issues with Vista. I do not want to spend unnecessary money to buy those applications again since i already own them.

Thanks,
    Nicholas
    Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:25 AM
  • What does Windows XP Tablet PC Edition include that Microsoft Windows XP Professional does not?

Windows XP Tablet PC Edition includes everything that is available in Windows XP Professional, and the following additional features:

Pen Input: Tablet PCs include digital pens that you use to control the computer and to write text in your own handwriting.
    Tablet PC Input Panel: Input Panel is an on-screen keyboard and writing pad. With Input Panel, you can type text without your standard keyboard.
    Microsoft Windows Journal: Windows Journal turns your Tablet PC into a writing pad.
    Microsoft Sticky Notes: You can use Sticky Notes to create and manage short handwritten or voice notes in the same manner that you would keep a stack of paper sticky notes.
    Handwriting Recognition and Conversion: You can write in your own handwriting, and then convert it to typed text.
    Speech Recognition: Tablet PCs have built-in speech-recognition capabilities.
    Document Annotation: You can annotate imported documents with a Tablet PC pen.
    Reading: Your Tablet PC uses Microsoft ClearType technology and a high-resolution display.
    Screen Rotation: You can quickly rotate your screen for landscape or portrait viewing.

Gestures: You can use your Tablet PC pen to make "gestures." "Gestures" are movements with the pen that complete common tasks.

More info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327160

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:23 AM
  • HP and Compaq Desktop PCs -  Changing the Operating System from Windows Vista to Windows XP: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c01274160&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:29 AM
  • Wow.. it seems that there are many potential problems that might occur if i am going to downgrade the OS. Guess it will be better for me to get use to Vista then.

I am going to write to some of those software companies to check when they are going to release the Vista compatible version. Thanks!

Friday, December 7, 2007 7:23 AM