Communications Server 2007 R2 - prompted to re-enter credentials when starting client RRS feed

• Question

• We've been struggling with this for 3 months now.  I hope someone can help! :)

Environment - Office Communicator 2007 R2 running on Windows Server 2008.  AD environment of course.  We also have Exchange 2007.

When I start the Communicator client on a PC, it starts up fine, auto-logs me in and shows all my contacts.  However the Communicator Icon will have a red ! and a message about not being able to connect to Exchange: "Communicator is in the process of connecting to the Exchange server.  This process may take a few minutes.  Some features will not be available until the connection is complete."

Well, that's fine.  After about 2 minutes, a dialogue pops up asking the user to re-renter their password  (Dialog box is titled "Communicator - Services Sign In") and there's a message, "Type your credentials to retrieve calendar data from Outlook."  If I enter my AD password, then all is well.

But, we have a lot of users, and I'd hate to have them have to type in a password two minutes after they start communicator, every day.

I've opened about three separate technical incidents with Microsoft now and every single one of them has dwelled on some little unrelated thing ("Identified an Apache install on the same server, this is not supported, please reinstall on a new server while I close the ticket and purchase a new one if the problem is not resolved") so we are at our wits end.  Any suggestions?

I've been told it might be due to our email addresses being username@mycompany.com while our servers, SIP addresses etc. are all username@MC.local (names changed to protect the innocent).  But, no confirmations.  I suspect there could be an issue with certificates, or maybe with the DNS setup.  Who really knows.

Any help anyone can provide would be very helpful.  After several tickets with Microsoft I'm not sure where else to turn.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:37 PM

Answers

All replies