Remote Notification Add-In RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello all,

I've developed an Add-In for Windows Home Server, and believe it is now ready to expand the testing beyond myself and the few friends who have tried this for me. I'd love to have people test this and let me know of any bugs observed. I'm also looking for people willing to translate strings to other languages, though this is a lower priority.

Here's an intro to the Add-In:

Remote Notification is an Add-In for the Microsoft Windows Home Server
    operating system. It is designed to forward the System Health Notifications
    from the Home Server to an email address. This can be particularly useful
    when configured to send to an email address that forwards an SMS (text
    message) to the user's mobile phone.

Full details and the download are available from my website:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19

Thanks,

Alex

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:12 PM

All replies

• A good idea and I'm trying it now.

Only big thing I've noticed so far is that the tab order of the settings page needs to be improved a bit as focus moves from the SMTP Server section to the shutdown button instead of the SMTP Authentication section, as well as focus going from SMTP Authentication to SMTP Server instead of to the Send Test Notification button.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the input. I know about the tab ordering, and am investigating that, should have added it to the Readme. Smile

I've also had an offer to translate to German, so will be working on that in the next few days or week.

Alex

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:17 PM
  • Alex

Works just as you said.

No problem instalating and configuring. Was able to sent a Notification to my "Cell" and to my "email address".

One suggestion : Can you allow the option to send to both a "cell" and an "email address"

Well done.

I actually have a WHS in another state that I set up to test, now I can monitor changes much easier.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:11 PM
  •  

Hi Rouza,

Indeed, if you look at the "Future Plans" section at the bottom of the README, you'll see that supporting multiple recipients is in plan. The main problem I had with that was the configuration, I'm basically out of space to add any more configuration options! I'll have to redesign it, move to tabs or popups for advanced config options.

Thanks for the input!

Alex

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:20 PM
  • Who reads "Read Me" 

I just wing it and see what happens.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:43 PM
  • So there's been a fair bit of traffic both through this forum and my forum, and over 250 downloads of the .zip file. I'm interested to hear feedback or any requested features. My ideas so far:

* Would two recipient configs be enough (email and SMS), or should this support unlimited recipients?
    * How about an RSS feed from the server where you could monitor health changes?
    * Is there interest in being informed of any of the other available WHS events, such as user changes (add/remove), backup status, anything else?

Thanks!
    Alex

Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:08 PM
  •  yakuza wrote:

So there's been a fair bit of traffic both through this forum and my forum, and over 250 downloads of the .zip file. I'm interested to hear feedback or any requested features. My ideas so far:

* Would two recipient configs be enough (email and SMS), or should this support unlimited recipients?
    * How about an RSS feed from the server where you could monitor health changes?
    * Is there interest in being informed of any of the other available WHS events, such as user changes (add/remove), backup status, anything else?

Thanks!
    Alex

Alex

I suggest that you support 3 reciepients allowing  either email or SMS per user.

If possible all server alerts should be sent and also instances of remote login -username log on time and log off time.

File deletions from shared folders file name and user.

Some sort of daily or week report of alerts generated.

Thanks

Friday, September 21, 2007 3:28 AM
  • I gave the add-in a try and it works well.  However, I have noticed something strange.  As I have just recently setup a new WHS server (OEM release) for testing I visit the event log regularly to see how the system is behaving.  I have noticed that "remote notification" is adding several items to the application log.  The one that has caught my attention is individual errors indicating that hard drives (all 4) are failing.  These errors are subsequently removed?  Check disk does not report any errors with the drives and no errors are thrown in WHS with respect to network health.  The system drive does have a SMART attribute that has exceeded a threshold so I might expect some issue with it but not all drives?

Thanks,

Russ

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 9:00 PM
  • Hi Russ, please see my comments on the MediaSmartServer.net forums where you also posted this question.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19

Thanks!

Alex

Friday, November 16, 2007 4:57 PM