Auth problems between WHS and Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have got Windows Home Server running on one machine, and Windows 7 Professional running on another. I also have a couple of Macs, but they work perfectly and can access the shared folders.

The username of the Windows 7 machine is Anjow, so I create a user on the server with that name, and with the same password. I try and connect and it asks me for user/pass and automatically populates "ANJOWGAMES\Anjow". I enter the password and it is rejected. I also try using just \Anjow instead and the same happens. I try changing the username on the PC and creating a new account and it too is rejected. I have also tried using \Administrator, SERVER\Administrator, and SERVER\Anjow - none of them work. Does anyone know how I can get this PC connected, or what it is I'm doing wrong?

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:04 PM

All replies

• Try just "Anjow" without the "\". Also, if the server is part of a HomeGroup, disconnect it.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I've had a go with that, but it has the same result. Does it matter that beneath it it still says "Domain: ANJOWGAMES"?

I'm not so familiar with Microsoft stuff - what do you mean part of a HomeGroup? When I go on system properties, then computer name, it tells me that the computer name is 'server' and the workgroup is 'WORKGROUP'. Is this what you mean?

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:38 PM
  • No, it's a Microsoft way of easily sharing files etc. If you don't know what it is then almost certainly you have not set it up!

Do you have a Domain Controller on your network? What are the IP addresses of Server and problem PC?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, April 20, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Presumably I'd only have a domain controller set up if I'd specifically done it too. If that's the case then I don't have one.

The IP of the Windows 7 PC is 192.168.0.2, the server 192.168.0.4 - the PC can ping the server fine, and can access its RDP directly and also using the connector software.

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:26 PM
  • When you say you try to "Connect", what do you mean? Can you access Shared Folders on the server via the icon that should have been created on your desktip when you installed the Connector software?

Which version of WHS are you using, the original or WHS2011?

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:00 PM
  • This is after a reinstall of WHS original. I already had the connector software on the PC from before, but my server's board failed so I replaced it and reinstalled - I have not reinstalled the connector software - would you recommend that I do so? When I say connect, I mean by either putting \\SERVER\ in the address bar of explorer, or \\192.168.0.4\. It also shows up in the 'network' section of explorer.
    Friday, April 20, 2012 6:21 PM
  • ... so I create a user on the server with that name, and with the same password. ...

Did you then grant that user access to one or more shares?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, April 20, 2012 7:21 PM
  • Yes, it has access to all of them.
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 9:26 AM
  • Try creating a new User on your PC. Use the Console to create the same user on your Server and use the same password - give that User access to all folders using the Console. Log onto your PC as the new User and try connecting to your Server. Report back what happens.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:59 PM
  • I created a user called Test with a password, created the account on the server and gave it access to all folders and the same password. I then logged off on the PC, logged in as Test and tried to access the server by going into computer > network > double click 'SERVER'. It asked me for user/pass and I tried the one I was currently logged in as, and also \Test but both of them told me invalid credentials.
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:19 AM
  • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/user-accounts-overview.aspx

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    :I created a user called Test with a password, created the account on the server and gave it access to all folders and the same password. I then logged off on the PC, logged in as Test and tried to access the server by going into computer > network > double click 'SERVER'. It asked me for user/pass and I tried the one I was currently logged in as, and also \Test but both of them told me invalid credentials.
    :

BullDawg
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 2:34 PM
  • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/user-accounts-overview.aspx

BullDawg
    Is this mentioned with reference to any part in particular? I understand the concept of user accounts, but am not sure why the credentials are being rejected at every step.
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:13 PM
  • I am sure that you do not want to hear this, but if it were me, I would do another re-installation, install all updates and make sure that you do any changes via the Console!

Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:35 PM
  • I'm a bit confused, all my changes have been done via the console. Sorry if that's not been clear from my explanations, but I've not done anything outside of the console other than install network drivers.
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:46 PM
  • I was not suggesting you had, just reminding you not to do so! I can't think of another way of resolving the problem, although it could be a problem with your Client - you appear to be doing everything you need to and it should just work.

Sunday, April 22, 2012 11:19 PM
  • Get rid of connector software, I had many issues using this, I access all my folders without the software, set it up via rdp USING the console, you should see each share in explorar and just make a short cut. or one each computer point the folder to the share. The credintals are then managed at the server rather then the client.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 12:53 AM
  • Have you setup the "Allow remote access to your computer"  on the home server?

• Proposed as answer by DigitalStick Monday, April 23, 2012 3:41 PM
    • Edited by DigitalStick Monday, April 23, 2012 3:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Anjow Monday, April 23, 2012 5:31 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Have you setup the "Allow remote access to your computer"  on the home server?

Remote Access and not being able to access shares are two different things!

Monday, April 23, 2012 4:28 PM
  • If it's of any relevance, the connector software allows me to access the console fine but shows as "not connected to server" when I hover over it in the system tray. I have also tried to access the shares directly by putting \\SERVER\Videos in the address bar, but this has the same effect.
    Monday, April 23, 2012 5:39 PM
  • Hi,

did you verify, that time, date and time zone are identical on your server and the client PCs? If not, check and correct, if necessary.

Does name resolution work properly, so if you ping the server, does it resolve to the proper IP address within your LAN? What happens, if you enter nslookup on your client in a cmd prompt and enter the server name here?

Is any 3rd party security software involved, which contains firewall or network intrusion detection capabilities? If so, try to uninstall.

Do client or server have multiple network interface cards? If so, disable all besides the one, which is used for the current connection.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, April 30, 2012 8:33 AM
  • I'm having exactly the same issue as Anjow - no share access (exactly the same symptoms) - grey home connector icon that still works, ping works, RDP works, etc.

I tried nslookup and got this response

DNS request timed out.
        timeout was 2 seconds.
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  192.168.0.1

DNS request timed out.
        timeout was 2 seconds.
    DNS request timed out.
        timeout was 2 seconds.
    *** Request to UnKnown timed-out

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:59 AM