Excel Files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there anyway you could edit Excel sheets Etc. stored on the Home Server, Thru remote access without downloading the file ?

Please it is urgent.

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:28 PM

Answers

• The WHS server isn't designed for running things like Office etc., the best way is to have that on your local computer and just have the data file in the shared folders on the server. (Noting the current data bug).

Unless you have 'upgraded' your EX470, it's also desperately short of memory to do anything other than the basics, so having things like Office on there, could lead to verrrrry slow operations.

Colin

Friday, July 11, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Hello,

I guess I misunderstood.  As Colin said, you should not be loading other applications on your server.

Do you have another PC on you local network attached to the HP Server?

As I said above, you should remote access the other PC (through the server) to run Excel and edit the file.

I may have misled you by leaving out a word in my previous reply

"3.  The machine on the local network you are planning to remote to has Excel installed and has access to the Excel on the WHS."

Should have read:

"3.  The machine on the local network you are planning to remote to has Excel installed and has access to the Excel FILE on the WHS."

Toby

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:00 PM

All replies

• Sure given the following,

1.  You are logging into your WHS web site with user credentials that allow remote access

2.  The machine on the local network you are planning to remote to is capable (WinXP pro or Visa Bus. or Ultimate)

3.  The machine on the local network you are planning to remote to has Excel installed and has access to the Excel on the WHS.

Simply log into the WHS over the internet.  Remote access to the machine on the network with the WHS.  Run Excel, open the file, edit, save back to WHS.

Unless I'm missing something - no problem!

Toby

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:37 PM
  • Hi Toby,

I have the HP EX470 and I did install excel on the local server, but it looks like it will only edit local files not files stored in a shared folder.

p.s. I installed Office 2007 on the server when I accessed files from a computer (Thru Remote Access) that has office 2003 installed on it, I got the message from Excel "This file was created by a newer version of Microsoft Excel, Do you want to download a compellability pack so that you can work with this file.

Thanks for your time.

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:58 PM
  • The WHS server isn't designed for running things like Office etc., the best way is to have that on your local computer and just have the data file in the shared folders on the server. (Noting the current data bug).

Unless you have 'upgraded' your EX470, it's also desperately short of memory to do anything other than the basics, so having things like Office on there, could lead to verrrrry slow operations.

Colin

Friday, July 11, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Hello,

I guess I misunderstood.  As Colin said, you should not be loading other applications on your server.

Do you have another PC on you local network attached to the HP Server?

As I said above, you should remote access the other PC (through the server) to run Excel and edit the file.

I may have misled you by leaving out a word in my previous reply

"3.  The machine on the local network you are planning to remote to has Excel installed and has access to the Excel on the WHS."

Should have read:

"3.  The machine on the local network you are planning to remote to has Excel installed and has access to the Excel FILE on the WHS."

Toby

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:00 PM